DIR-F In Hurghada

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DomaNitrogen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
1-DIR-F is being offered in Hurghada in july :)

2-Hopefully I will be taking it But I have kind of an internal delama.

I am single tank diver never done doubles and I am not intending to do technical soon. But it’s kind of interesting to do the DIR F in doubles even so. For the experience and not going through that part of the training again and I know I will not pass the technical but why not use the opportunity to learn.

But on the other hand will this be limiting factor worrying about my bouncy and dealing with new gear. DIR-F is hard as course, add some variables and it could be not useful for me and i end up not gaining experiance and not passing.

Did any body go through the same thing and try doubles the first time in the course?

DomaNitrogen:
1-DIR-F is being offered in Hurghada in july :)

2-Hopefully I will be taking it But I have kind of an internal delama.

I am single tank diver never done doubles and I am not intending to do technical soon. But it’s kind of interesting to do the DIR F in doubles even so. For the experience and not going through that part of the training again and I know I will not pass the technical but why not use the opportunity to learn.

But on the other hand will this be limiting factor worrying about my bouncy and dealing with new gear. DIR-F is hard as course, add some variables and it could be not useful for me and i end up not gaining experiance and not passing.

Did any body go through the same thing and try doubles the first time in the course?

Whatever you do, you can rest assured that you will learn a lot! And, as most people who have done DIR-F will agree with me, do not focus on passing or failing the course. The most important thing I learned is what I still had (and have) to learn in diving.

Regarding doubles, I would just do it. Try to get some dives done with doubles first so you know how they feel. Do not try to spend to much time practicing skills you have not been thaught by a GUE instructor. Chances are that you have some details wrong and you will have to 'unlearn' them during your DIR-F.
When I compare diving in singles to diving in doubles the main differences are:
- you can reach your valves easier in doubles
- the rear dump valve is a bit more to the left.
- the gear is heavier when you are not in the water, but that is not really an issue for DIR-F.

Bouancy is not really different. If you are weighted correctly to begin with at least ";-)

Good luck with your DIR-F and have a lot of fun! (and some sleep as well ";-)

Well
bouyancy may be an issue as they use alu tanks in Egypt hich empty are positive...So with doubles you will have to be properly and differently than with single weighted.
But go and do DIR F - guys that are doing this are great.
good luck and we are all waiting for the report
Mania

Yea;

I am doing two kinds of training now before the course swimming and stayen fit, 2 prepare my self to fail :)

It's not failing. The class is not set up to pass. If you have not already had significant correct coaching on the skills that are taught, there is no way you can master them in three (or if the new format, four) days. We did a grand total of four dives in our class. It was only enough time to make an attempt at the skills (and our group, which was the remedial one, didn't even try them all). But when you leave the class, you have seen all the skills, you have tried as many as the instructor can get you to, and you have a good idea of what and how to practice. And then it just takes time.

I took Fundies in a single tank, and I'm really glad I did, and looking at the number of dives in your profile, I'd advise you to do it, too. Go in what you are comfortable in and accustomed to, and you will get the most out of the instruction. Solidify the skills and then transition to doubles. (At least that's what I am doing.) You don't want unfamiliarity with your equipment to mean you get through less of the Fundies curriculum during the class. JMHO

yea i am feeling uncomfortable with the doubles idea that’s enough to get me excited … so I guess will do it with singles

Enjoy the class -- it really is a superb learning experience. And it's so much fun to watch the instructor/s in the water!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom