DIR - F anyone?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

capecodder

Reaction score
I responded to the dir f thread below,,,, and I thought that tonight while yous guys were yuckin' it up tnite in Framingham,, get a rough head count of interested people. I believe that if we get a few people, they'll come to the boston area. I know that they had a course down here on cape cod last summer, but anyway, I'd be willing to go to boston area, since it's closer to most of you guys, let me know

buck

There are a number of logistical issues that have to be squared away. One of them specifically is gas. Basically we need a shop willing to fill 40+ tanks starting after 5:00.

I know a guy in Eastham that has a shop in his basement, and doesn't keep regular hours. I've shown up at 11PM before to drop off tanks and he was there doing fills.

I ran into him last year at SeaRovers, so I'm going to look for him again this year and talk to him about it. Eastham also has Wiley Park [or whatever the name is] where the dives could probably be done.

Eastham would have plenty of places to stay, but we'd probably want to do it sometime off season, like before memorial day [out of the question for me], or after labor day.

that sounds good,,, It prob would be better all around if it were off season,,, Jeff, your saying we need to fill 40 plus tanks with air right?? not nitrox?? I'm just tryin to be on the same page as you when you say "gas" cuz I may have access to fill the tanks at work I'd have to check to be sure but I think it's ok.

buck

capecodder once bubbled...
Jeff, your saying we need to fill 40 plus tanks with air right?? not nitrox?? I'm just tryin to be on the same page as you when you say "gas" cuz I may have access to fill the tanks at work

I chose the term 'gas' 'cause I didn't know what the fill would be. However considering the dives are all around 20 ft or less; air seems to be the cost effective solution. But I don't know if nitrox is a need. If so; then Bob's place is out of the question as well.

My only comment to your idea of having them filled at work is simply: Would you have to fill 'em, or would there be someone else qualified to fill them. The point being that just because diving is done at 5:00, class isn't done until 9:00, so the filling would be occuring while the class is still going on. You wouldn't be able to do both, and I'm _sure_ you wouldn't want to have to fill 40 tanks after 9PM with a sore back and in dire need of rest! :)

...we all dove air at my DIRF. I don't think we ever went deeper than 30' so it wasn't a big deal. Our instructors dove air too since that was all the quarry pumped..

I see what you mean,,, my resource is the fire station,, and we fill our scba all the time but, I agree filling a few tanks would be no big deal but 40 hmm... we also have a truck with a cascade,,, taking that to the dive site?? would that help??

buck

I'm sure if I got other firefighters from my dept. to join in,, we could use any and all the air we want,, we have a cascade in each station plus the special hazards dive truck,,, this course sounds like it would be better than any drill our dive team does let me know and and can explore the possibilities

buck

I would be very interested in a DIRF course on the Cape. There is a new dive shop on the cape in Hyannis off the rotary at the site of the former East Coast Divers. It is called Dive Locker run by Mike Walls. They have air fills. I would be willing to bet he would be interested in 40 air fills. why not?

my 2 cents.

- Terrence.

My 2 buddies and I are very interested in taking the DIR-F course and we could probably go almost any time over the summer.

Does anyone know how they solved the tank fill problem last year down on the cape? How many dives per day is the course, is it only 2 or is it 4?

BTW, Hathaway pond on the cape is an ideal training site.

Back
Top Bottom