DIR exceptions/contigencies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ClevelandDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
From all the reading I have done on DIR, it appears that one of the basic principles is team diving. This impacts gear selection and many other aspects of the dive plan.

My question is, does the training making any recomendations for those times when you are unable to pair up with a diver of comparable training/experience?

For example: you have paid for a trip, your regular buddy falls ill and you get paired up with a diver you have never dove with before.

Obiviously on a highly techinical dive, calling the would be the prudent decision. But what about about a moderate level dive, say an 80 foot wreck dive with out penetration?

Because the buddy has become an unkown variable, would your training dictate that you: change your gear configuration, have a lengthy predive discussion with your temp buddy, abort the dive and eat the cost, keep your gear configuration the same and alter your dive plan to include a greater safety margin, dive solo or something other solution I haven't thought of.

Again my question is what does the DIR training suggest in this situation, if anything.

Thanks,

Mike

FYI: I am not DIR trained, but I dive regularly with the same buddy who has had recent health problems causing him to cancel on a trip that is already paid for. Fortunately I will be able to tag along with another pair of divers I frequently dive with.
I have, however, had several bad experiences diving with instant buddies. My current inclination in these situations is to plan my dive as a solo dive and stick with the buddy as long as he doesn't do anything really stupid.

ClevelandDiver:
My question is, does the training making any recomendations for those times when you are unable to pair up with a diver of comparable training/experience?
There is always option 1. :wink:

Obviously the decision is up to you. Talking with the diver, looking over his gear, gauging his training and attitude, are all on the order. The dive, the diver, and your personal comfort level with the two will and should determine your course of action.

BTW, get DIR training. I promise you it's worth it.

That's another point.

There's not much DIR or not DIR about this. It's common sense.. if you feel the diver is a good teammate and reliable enough to safely complete the dive in question, particularly if you have an emergency, go ahead and do it. If not, don't do the dive.

It's risk assessment. How big is the risk, how important to you is the dive?

ClevelandDiver:

For example: you have paid for a trip, your regular buddy falls ill and you get paired up with a diver you have never dove with before.

DIR has a very definitive procedure for this....you don't dive.

Invest in two buddies, that way if one gets sick, you still have an option (other than #1, hehe). Where a three man team is preferred, for many dives, especially some of the shallower ones, 2 is perfectly acceptable.

ClevelandDiver:
From all the reading I have done on DIR, it appears that one of the basic principles is team diving. This impacts gear selection and many other aspects of the dive plan.

Obiviously on a highly techinical dive, calling the would be the prudent decision. But what about about a moderate level dive, say an 80 foot wreck dive with out penetration?

Given that this is a non-technical (recreational, no deco) dive, here's my take on it.

ClevelandDiver:
Because the buddy has become an unkown variable, would your training dictate that you: change your gear configuration,

No ... you've become used to the gear, practiced with the gear, and changing anything at this point only introduces additional risk factors due to a lack of familiarity.

ClevelandDiver:
have a lengthy predive discussion with your temp buddy,

Absolutely! And you want it to be as thorough as you can make it. Cover buddy skills, pre-dive checks, the dive plan, contingency plans, hand and light signals, turn and rock bottom pressures, and dive objectives (for compatibility).

ClevelandDiver:
abort the dive and eat the cost,

If any of the responses to the predive discussion make you uncomfortable, then yes ... abort the dive.

ClevelandDiver:
keep your gear configuration the same and alter your dive plan to include a greater safety margin,

Again, depending on the predive discussion, and how you feel about your BoC's answers ... but it might be a good idea.

ClevelandDiver:
dive solo

Definitely not ...

ClevelandDiver:
Again my question is what does the DIR training suggest in this situation, if anything.

If you're referring to DIR-F, then I will tell you that at no time during my training did they suggest we are not allowed to dive with non-DIR trained divers. They do stress that you should follow a regimen, and engage your brain. But I know many non DIR-trained divers who do that ... and dive with several of them regularly.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

ClevelandDiver:

Just use common sense ("do the right thing" ";-): the basics are allways: plan the dive and dive the plan. Obviously as with any (DIR trained or not DIR trained) new buddy, first get to "know" each other on an easy shallow dive. Only proceed if both buddies feel comfortable with it. It might involve doing some drills on the first dive to check how the buddy dives. And you want to make sure that the buddy knows how to communicate with you and look after you just as much as you do to him or her.

Being member of a dive club with only a handfull DIR trained divers myself, I regularly dive with non DIR trained people. One of the first things usually is explaining the long hose. And we do a thorough buddy check.
And usually this is a good way to introduce non DIR divers to some DIR principles. A lot of people have heard about it and read all kinds of (positive and negative) stuff on the Internet. But seeing someone dive who is neutral and horizontal during the entire dive is something else than reading an Internet forum. Usually after such a dive people are even more interested in DIR ";-)
(although I regard myself still as a DIR starter)

I would never do a 80 foot wreck dive with a buddy I do not know very well.

ClevelandDiver:

First, I strongly to encourage you to take a DIR-F class. It will make much more sense than any response you will get here. Second, a whole buncy of tragically undertrained, unthinking and/or poorly equiped divers pull off simply recreational dives every day. It isn't rocket science. A big aspect of DIR is better risk/ reward. Overhead (deco or real) dives fall squarely on the too much risk to be worth it to dive without a DIR buddy. Simple recreational dives depends on your decisions but hopefully you will learn enough in DIRF to at least reduce the risk with such a buddy if you do choose to dive with them.

Having said that, I would always option #1 it. The PC translation of which is don't dive. Once you really understand this stuff, diving with non-DIR divers just isn't any fun. This is a conclusion less experienced divers have a harder time reaching since they are so anxious to make every dive. There is also the caveat of showing the principles to a non-DIR diver wanting to learn on a simple dive being rewarding as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom