DIR exceptions/contigencies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandDiver
dive solo

Definitely not ...

Excuse me if my cave diving records are not up to date......How did JJ complete that 19000 foot pentration record????If it wasn't solo, how come nobody else gets credit for goin w/ him? Just a thought....

BigBoB:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandDiver
dive solo

Definitely not ...

Excuse me if my cave diving records are not up to date......How did JJ complete that 19000 foot pentration record????If it wasn't solo, how come nobody else gets credit for goin w/ him? Just a thought....
He did it with George Irvine.

http://wkpp.org/exploration.htm

Since you were wondering :wink:

jonnythan:
He did it with George Irvine.

And Brent Scarabin.

ClevelandDiver:
My question is, does the training making any recomendations for those times when you are unable to pair up with a diver of comparable training/experience? For example: you have paid for a trip, your regular buddy falls ill and you get paired up with a diver you have never dove with before.

...My current inclination in these situations is to plan my dive as a solo dive and stick with the buddy as long as he doesn't do anything really stupid.
BTW, this is a very good question. It's a dilemma that impact divers frequently, and not only "DIR" divers.

The answers you've received are spot on - the DIR response is that you call the dive rather than dive with a diver of unknown skills, abilities, etc. The rationale is that you have no clue how they will react to sudden problems. The best way to avoid an emergency is to not be there when one happens. The best way to not be there when one happens is to not put yourself in the position where it can happen in the first place. So, you call the dive rather than dive with someone who is potentially going to put you at considerably greater risk than you'd planned on originally.

While it IS (as noted previously) a judgement call, and some are easier decisions to make (e.g. a trimix wreck dive to 160' for example), remember that even on moderate level dives - depending on where they're done - having an unknown for a buddy could have some severely negative consequences. The difficulty seldom occurs so long as everything goes right. The problem is the compounding effect that is set into motion as soon as something begins to go wrong.

Simple lack of communication and familiarity with one another can turn a mildly annoying situation into something much worse. Then too, you each assume some level of responsibility to one another...you don't want to surface and have someone ask 'where's your buddy' and respond 'hell, I don't know...he drifted off somewhere'. If you get blown off a wreck by current, do you expect him to let go and stick with you? Do you let go if he gets blown off a wreck by a stiff current, so you stick with him? Do you tell him up front "if you do something stupid don't count on me to stick with you"? It can be problematic.

It's complicated by the fact that you've paid a lot of money to get out on the boat, the hotel, the gas, the transportation, plus you've been blown out by weather a few times, and this might be your only chance to get a dive on the wreck during this season, etc. It's not always an easy decision.

It comes down to being a judgement call, but one that - if something goes wrong - can be an extremely important judgement call. Its like gambling: so long as nothing goes wrong, all is good. If something goes wrong, however, you're potentially much worse off than you would have been with a prepared, drilled and committed buddy. Depending on which circumstances we're talking about, how far offshore, weather and currents, etc., it can be real similar to gambling with your life.

FWIW. YMMV.

This is an interesting thread and let me bump it a bit… I hope not too far off the topic. I’m and instructor and I also DM in a recreational environment. I’m GUE fundamentals trained and am looking forward to Tech 1 in a month’s time.

Now 100% of my working dives are done without GUE teams… so I can’t be considered in my working dives to be diving DIR. However my work with our recreational guests is most defiantly informed by GUE training. From my dive briefings to my own awareness of the guests gear, the environment and the behavior of the guests.

When I work I use my BP/H and long hose and I can say that on those occasions when I have had to come to the assistance of guests in either low air situations or in other difficult circumstances (which have been mercifully few) the GUE training has kicked in and has made things much less difficult.

So… for the recreational diver I really don’t expect the diver to sit out the dive if his/her GUE trained team member is not available. Here I’m looking at relatively benign dives. Your GUE training will make you a much stronger diver no matter who you are buddied up with. For more aggressive dives if they have been planned with a particular team in mind and the team was no show you would not find me doing the dive.

As GUE rolls out the BOW class I think this issue will become more widespread in the future.

Vie:
And Brent Scarabin.

No Brent wasn't on that dive. (He used to be part of the lead team.) The current long range team is only JJ and GI3.

Thanks to all for the feedback. I kinda thought the DIR position would be to not dive with an unknown buddy. As I mentioned earlier, I will be teaming up with a couple of people I dive with and trust. Since my buddies injury I have been diving more with them than him anyway (we did a long hose OOA drill Saturday, very cool). This incident has made me consider planning all my dive trips with multiple buddies in the future, just in case there is any thinning of the herd. I have done the unknown buddy thing in the past and would definitely like to avoid on anything other than a quarry dive (got to meet new buddies somewhere). Thanks again.

FYI - the trip in question is this weekend Saturday and Sunday morning with Dip N Dive via Osprey Charters in Lake Erie. Anyone else on the board going?

RTodd:
No Brent wasn't on that dive. (He used to be part of the lead team.) The current long range team is only JJ and GI3.

Sorry. My mistake.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom