dir equipment configuration/ Courses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The FredT backplate is made from 316 steel, an extremely corrosion resistant metal. The Halcyon is made from a steel that is not quite as corrosion resistant. I beleive this is why they have the shiny coating on the plate. Still, I don't think either one will ever start to rust.

I've compared my FredT to the Halcyon plate and actually like both of them. Both are very well made. The Halcyon plate has a nice shiny finish while the FredT plate has a dull finish. Some people might site this as a reason to get one over the other but, I don't think it really matters.

I really like the webbing that FredT uses. It's nice and stiff, making it so you don't need keepers where the webbing passes through the plate.

As you mentioned, you have more of a choice if you go with FredT. With the different plate weights and STA weights, you can really help get some weight off your belt. FredT is cheaper. I got a standard 6lbs plate and a harness kit for about $123 including shipping. Later I ordered the 2lbs STA and bolts for $63 shipped. Total of $186 with shipping, which is less than just the plate and harness from Halcyon.

Either way, both are good plates. I'll probably pick up a Halcyon plate later on to keep just for single tank diving.

You have to email him:

ftagge@goldinc.com

If you have any questions, I'm sure he can help you out.

This past weekend I took rescue. I was one of two students in the class. The other student had the 'standard' config with an aqualung malibu.

The Instructor and DM are pretty familar with the DIR rig. (divernva was the DM, and had his harness for the class)

Before the first day of diving we went over eachothers gear very carefully -- with the fact in mind we would have to remove it in the water later on. I explained how to best get the harness off and pulling at the d-rings and remembering the necklace, etc... I was pretty throrough.

When it came time for him to remove my gear on the surface, he had a hell of a time on the first try and gave up. The instructor commented "So... How do you like your deathtrap? Now you know part of the reason for always wanting to have a DIR buddy." He eventually did get it. I practiced removing the BP/harness from the DM.

Definitely one of the things that stuck in my mind for the weekend....

sillygrendel once bubbled...
The instructor commented "So... How do you like your [DIR]deathtrap?
Of course it's faster to get someone out of a wrecked car if they're not wearing a seatbelt, too. That doesn't mean that a seatbelt is a "deathtrap."

Roak

The instructor commented "So... How do you like your deathtrap?

When I took my rescue class it wasn't that hard for my buddy to get my harness off. Yes, it was a little more work, and yes he wasn't that familier with the setup but it wasn't that big of a deal.
I personally would call something a deathtrap that wasn't reliable or had so much crap on it that you couldn't find the inflator hose in an emergency. I could go on and on just don't let what the instructor said bug you.

A pair of shears or a knife'll get it off pretty quick...

I think he was mostly refering to your buddy not being familiar with your equipment.

A pair of shears or a knife'll get it off pretty quick...

I think he was mostly refering to your buddy not being familiar with your equipment.

C'Mon, someone has to say it.....................

Rule #...................?????

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom