DIR drysuit preference

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Small World.

I found the course very interesting especially when they talk about the gear and the configuration.

Are you up for some followup dives at Haigh?

Laser once bubbled...

Pm me if you want to dive and practice.

Argh! *Jealous* :D

FYI, y'all... GI3 is not a representative of GUE, the DIR certifying agency... Those of us who are DIR don't appreciate the harsh, crass way he presents himself either.

That said, the reason why GI3 is like that is pretty understandable... He's the leader of the WKPP, the world record holding cave exploration team. He doesn't joke around about gear... Or skills... Or anything that can get you killed.

The reason why shell suits are recommended by GUE is because of the fact that neoprene - even that of the crushed sort - changes buoyancy with depth. Instead, a shell suit with the appropriate undergarment offers what they consider to be a better solution, solving buoyancy issues and heat retention issues in the way that they feel that neoprene can't. There's also the issue of flexibility underwater, steering clear of suits with too much material, and overall fitment issues.

Of course, that's only their extremely educated postion on the debate. Your opinion may be completely different. :D

Docmartin, is flexibility.

I dive a DUE 450. The material is slightly 'stiffer' than the DUE 350. Based on my comparison, the hypercompressed neoprene which is proprietary to DUI is stiffer still.

I normally dive my drysuit with minimum argon inside, just enough to take the squeeze off.

During my DIRf the trade-off became apparent: Keep enough argon in the suit to ensure flexibility to reach/turn the isolater valve, the gas shifts around inside the suit (in turn causing trim problems). Reduce gas volume inside the suit to prevent gas displacement variance, the thicker material then restricts or constrains rapid, secure acquisition and manipulation of, especially, the isolater valve.

When you add potential flexibility issues to the potential for bouyancy variance inherent to the hypercompressed neoprene, the conclusion is simply that such suits are not optimal.

Doesn't mean they can't be used. Means they are not optimal.

Optimal is a thin shell suit which can be used with 400 gr thinsulate undergarment, which offers maximum flexibility with minimum argon inside suit.

FWIW.

Doc

PS Also FWIW, I concur with scubajim1 above. If you have the chance to take a DIRf, I recommend you do so. Eye-opening experience...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom