DIR DMs? What do you do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSandM:
Admittedly, instructors dive solo . . . sort of.

Some instructors do dive solo, but not with students. If the instructor (DIR or otherwise) has done their job, the students are competent buddies and are able to assist in emergencies. Any instructor who considers himself diving solo with students is not an instructor I'd trust to teach anything.

RTodd, are you saying that it would be a DIR dive to bounce to place the hook, dive, and then bounce to remove the hook?

Admittedly, instructors dive solo . . . sort of. Beyond the Fundies level, the students should have some reasonable ability to assist in the event of an issue for the instructor.

That wasn't the question, but to answer would I bounce after a long or deep exposure. No. But, would the above scenario make me overly concerned at typical recreational depths and dive times. No. Plus, if I was the DM and wanted to get a dive in it would be done as a bounce to set, then a dive with a teammate to make sure all of the customers are surfacing and get in a dive then pull the hook. So, no second bounce. Back when I was dumb enough to teach open water, we would do the deep dive portion of an advanced class early, then do 20-30 ascents over the rest of the morning (two OW dives with all of the CESA and other ascent garbage and often with the class broken into multipe groups so possiblly 4-6 "dives" for the instructor). Still happens all of the time. Not the best practice from a deco strategy standpoint but also not too risky at typical recreational depths/ times. (Can wreck your ears though.)

While a GUE tech/ cave student should be able to help, how many cave students could honestly answer that they knew where there cave instructor was even 50% of the time during a class.

While a GUE tech/ cave student should be able to help, how many cave students could honestly answer that they knew where there cave instructor was even 50% of the time during a class.

I think this equally applies to tech training as well. (no, I don't want to start a discussion on whether they are different or the same........) I like to think that during Tech II I paid a lot more attention to where the instructor was and what he was doing, but I know for Tech I, for most of the course he might as well have been on the moon........... In participating in another Tech I course I remember that the students did not one time glance back at the instructor during the entire dive.......

Good point. Fred was diving solo 98% of the time. Although he did bring 2 or 3 roving autonomous pony bottles into the cave with him...

Talking about this there's a discussion to be had about risk mitigation in both cases (DM diving solo to set the hook, cave1 instructors conducting a class), but it isn't really a DIR discussion. By combining DM experience and training, knowledge of the divesite, paying attention to good deco practices and gas reserves, etc can mitigate risk, but you can't turn that dive into a DIR dive.

*talking about this with my wife, who would have trouble managing / and a lack of desire to attempt doubles
i probably missed something, but why would she need to use doubles ?

To in some way have more redundancy for her air supply. Seeing as doubles would give her 2 first stages / 2 air sources with the ability to isolate - as opposed to an h or y where she'd only have a single tank. --- This was in reference to the in lieu of a buddy / and doubles would a pony be the closest thing to a DIR solution understanding that the very nature of what we are doing is not.

In N.C. you will never see a divemaster buddy team setting anchors. Dove out here alot {200+}dives.not once have i seen them double team an anchor.But lots of them do use full face communication gear..does that count for a buddy?

Regardless of it's DIRness or anything else, this is diving in an employer/employee relationship, despite the fact that there may be no pay. In point of fact the DM is usually considered a crew member and as such is covered both by OSHA regulations as well as the unlimited liability considerations of the Jones Act. If any such DM is injured or killed, he (or his heirs) will own the boat and anything else that is not nailed down. I think it's a pretty stupid practice.

In N.C. you will never see a divemaster buddy team setting anchors. Dove out here alot {200+}dives.not once have i seen them double team an anchor.But lots of them do use full face communication gear..does that count for a buddy?

Can the FFM gear donate gas to you, or lift you to the surface if you go unconscious/tox?

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom