DIR Depressed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

go ahead and take the Fundamentals class. There is soooo much more besides just finning techniques that is taught in a DIR-F class. They may even be able to shed some light on why the different kicks are hurting your back. It could be a simple as your using the wrong technique.

I would also encourage anybody else out there who is thinking about taking a DIR-F. Don't be so worried about training to take a DIR-F. Just go take the class with an open mind and don't be so worried about passing or failing. It's kind of like saying you would like to be a doctor some day. Are you going to go out and try and find someone to cut into, so you can practice being a doctor before you've actually taken the schooling?

Likewise, when taking a DIR-F you recieve instruction and training in the class, then you can go out and practice and train on the different things that you've learned during the class. But until you've taken the training, you don't know what to work on. Yes, the websites and videos out there are helpful, but they don't come close in explaining how it all fits together.

FFMDiver:
Hope this might help other DIR potential divers. I had to back out of DIRF training before going after I began practicing finning methods and found it began bothering my lower back. If your middle-aged, had an "extreme sport" youth and have a weak back you might try these moves in the water before signing up. Needless to say, being a tech diver probably isnt in my future due to my failure point. I probably lost $300 because the course is "non-refundable" I hope not...Anyhow, Good luck and know your limits.

FFM,

Let me offer a few words of advise. Most that start practicing a different kick start using a different muscle and a different body position then they are previously accustomed to using. In the beginning you may experience minor discomfort, similiar to if you haven't been in the gym in a while and then go back. But a huge part of the DIR-F class is about teaching the proper body position and the proper propulsion technique.

My advise is to send your instructor an e-mail, or please feel free to PM me, and work through your concerns. We have many "middle-aged" people in our classes. I'm 41 does that qualify ;-)

Hope that helps but I wouldn't summarily drop out from the class wihtout atleast a discussion with your instructor. Moreover, and I emphasis this again, please don't fixate on "passing" the class, you can take a great deal away from this class even if you can't complete all of the required skills to "pass" the class. From my perspective, passing the class is secondary to learning and experiencing what the class has to offer.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Michael Kane

Let me says this I meet some of the best divers in the World through going through the DIR-F class, second I am very middle aged as you say and when I took the class was extremely over weight yes it made the class harder on me, but same time it opened my eyes up. Some of the best things I remember about my class was the instructors taking time to work with you, I was falling behind didn’t stop them one of the instructor help me as the other worked with the others, soon I was up to speed with them. First it was my first time with a Back Plate, or for that matter first time with a Back Bladder so need to say was interesting.
Go to this site email Cameron.
http://www.divefitness.com/
There allot of info on that site that can help you.
Don’t give up Take the class you will enjoy it.
My instructors was Tyler moon and Dave Sweetin

Don't back out of the class. If you have to pay for it anyway just do it. You'll learn a lot from it and you don't have to be wanting to be a tech diver to take it.

I don't know what kinda working out you do but I went from having a totally screwed-up back (developed after a triathlon of ouches...7 days hard mogul skiing, one spectacular bike crash and a fall down the stairs). This led to some really bad lower back issues...two instances of protruding disks and the accompanying week on the back.

I started working out with weights. I concentrated on ab work and exercises to strengthen the complete core. I have not had any back problems since.

I sincerely believe it is possible to work around old injuries and I know that the DIRf is infinitely more than finning techniques...go for it. Call your doctor and you instructor and I'm sure they can set you on the right path.

Good luck.

FFMDiver,

A little off topic but if you're struggling with your lower back you might want to check out www.egoscue.com and his book The Egoscue Method to Health Through Motion.

The book (a series of stretching excercises based upon body type) has been a great help to me.

I strongly agree that core training often will work wonders. I work with many back pain patients, and a good regiment of abdominal core training combined with McEnzie exercises has helped many people completely eliminate or greatly reduce their lower back pain.

I myself have 4 bulging disks from "hard living" in younger years (I am now 41) and exercises like this have saved my back as well.

The DIR-F class was very hard for me anyway, but it was not my back that was the problem. Diving my newly aquired PST E8-130 doubles for the first time, having a poorly fitted dry suit / undergarment, and realizing that I did not dive nearly as well as I thought I did, really kicked my butt.
The class was an really valuable eye opener for me to discover how I really want to, and should dive.
To see one of Brandons newly cerified open water sudents move around in the water much better than I could, certainly inspired me to learn to dive from scratch again.

Despite my personal hardships, this is the class that I wish I could have taken years ago. Don't miss it for anything.

Anders

reubencahn:
I forgot to mention that at 44, I qualify as middle-aged.

MHK:
We have many "middle-aged" people in our classes. I'm 41 does that qualify ;-)

Geez, I'm beginning to think I'm falling into the old-aged catagory. SHUTUP ABOUT THE AGE THING. :bounce: Worry about FM's back. :54:

Well, I appreciate all the posts to this thread - didnt realize folks would have so much input. I do stretch religiously and work out with weights. The whole reason I'm into diving is that its a low impact adventure sport. Never been bed ridden with my back or burst a disk - just dont like days-on-end of twinges (yall know exactly what I'm talking about). I'll keep diving my wings and see if I can get my back used to the leg work and if things improve I'll go to DIRF. Thank you for the support.

Lead_carrier:
Geez, I'm beginning to think I'm falling into the old-aged catagory. SHUTUP ABOUT THE AGE THING. :bounce: Worry about FM's back. :54:
:sprite10: :sprite10:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom