DIR Depressed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FFMDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
Hope this might help other DIR potential divers. I had to back out of DIRF training before going after I began practicing finning methods and found it began bothering my lower back. If your middle-aged, had an "extreme sport" youth and have a weak back you might try these moves in the water before signing up. Needless to say, being a tech diver probably isnt in my future due to my failure point. I probably lost $300 because the course is "non-refundable" I hope not...Anyhow, Good luck and know your limits.

If I were you I'd take the class and worry about modifying finning technique to suit your back later.

FFMDiver:
Hope this might help other DIR potential divers. I had to back out of DIRF training before going after I began practicing finning methods and found it began bothering my lower back. If your middle-aged, had an "extreme sport" youth and have a weak back you might try these moves in the water before signing up. Needless to say, being a tech diver probably isnt in my future due to my failure point. I probably lost $300 because the course is "non-refundable" I hope not...Anyhow, Good luck and know your limits.
Are you sure this can't be cured by some stretching and excercise? I ask this because I've had burst fractures of the L1 and L2 vertebrae together with associated muscle damage but was able to make it through DIRF. You might try looking for a good physical therapist specializing in sports medicine. They can do wonders, and it's really better to address this as, without treatment, back problems only get worse over time.

DIRF is about becoming a better diver. While you may not be able to do some of the things required in order to pass the class, it undoubtably has a lot to offer you. Did you talk to the instructor? Let him know that you may have some restrictions due to physical limitations but that you would still like to take the class. So what if technical diving isn't in your future - there's still a lot of diving that should be open to you, right?

I'd also talk to a medical type - maybe a PT or similar - about developing a program to strengthen your back and to improve your flexibility. It can't hurt and it might help a lot. Take a look at this website and see if he's got anything that might get you started.

FFMDiver:

Just maybe you were doing your "finning techniques" wrong and that was affecting you back.

As previously said, you will learn more from the class than just finning. It's well worth it regardless of pass/fail.

Well - I can tell you from experience that even with a messed-up back, DIRf is possible. One thing that is very painful for me is arching my back for any length of time. I learned a way of actually relaxing my back without arching it. Having floaty feet helps with this :wink:. If I'm trying to force my back to arch - it hurts. A lot. Whether I'm finning or not. If I'm relaxed - no pain. Even finning. At least not until I get out of the water and gravity re-compresses everything.
So like the others said - take the class if you can. Though GUE may want you to have a Doc's OK to dive.

FFMDiver:
Hope this might help other DIR potential divers. I had to back out of DIRF training before going after I began practicing finning methods and found it began bothering my lower back. If your middle-aged, had an "extreme sport" youth and have a weak back you might try these moves in the water before signing up.

I took it at 42, and while I'm nowhere near the fine specimen that Uncle Pug is (and not nearly as robust, but then again, who is?) there is a lot of stuff (in fact, most of the class) that isn't about finning and the associated in-water hoopla - trim, CG, etc.

My fav part of the whole experience was the interaction with the instructors and other dirfs - both in class and after class (read: in the bar.) Honestly, its an emersion for several days - the in-water stuff is only part of it. Unless wearing the rig and frog kicking is somehow throwing your back into unmanagable pain (diving in general would need to be reconsidered) I highly recommend the class.

K

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom