DIR controversy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NWGratefulDiver:
Those would be clown dorids if they were larger than 1-inch, and cockerill's dorids if they were smaller ... and this is the time of year when they cluster to create little clowns.

Were you at Keystone Jetty, perchance? I heard it was rather crowded this past week-end (great tides for it, though) ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

there were whitecaps at keystone when we went there on sunday, so the entry looked really iffy and there was nobody diving there. we went to the tire reef on the other side of the island. 60 min dive and only used about 41 cu ft of gas...

got any pics of the clown/cockerill's dorids? just tried google but didn't come up with much... there was at least one large cluster of dozens of little ones (1cm or less), and one large cluster of dozens of bigger ones (1 inch or greater). they looked like an identical species though.

also saw one of the pretty white ones, an orange peel, and a 'feathery' white one (gotta get better at memorizing my nudi names... those are all typical cove 2 nudis though...)

lamont:
got any pics of the clown/cockerill's dorids? just tried google but didn't come up with much... there was at least one large cluster of dozens of little ones (1cm or less), and one large cluster of dozens of bigger ones (1 inch or greater). they looked like an identical species though.
Here's a clown dorid pic I took in the SJI a few months ago ...
smallnudi4.jpg

Cockerill's dorid pics can be found here ...

http://northwestdiver.com/forums/showpost.php?p=62011&postcount=78

Actually, you should peruse that whole thread ... Jan's a Whidbey Island local, and does some amazing photography of local critters ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
It does all seem rather Lilliputian at times ... doesn't it ... :wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I give up. What is Lilliputan? Speak American...:D

lamont:
did two dives this weekend. on one dive we went out and dove a site which we had never dove before and had no information on. we had bathymetry for the area, which it looks like was wrong because all we found was steeply sloping smooth sand and a couple of crabs. the other site was a well-known dive site off whidby island where we found 4 different species of nudibranchs (including a couple of large clusters of dozens of these really pretty ones with orange tips) and the usual assorted puget sound sea life. we spent both of the dives just diving. some of the nice parts were things like being able to come out of the first dive about 20 feet from where we started and being able to stay together and easily explore things without losing each other (and without having to think about it). that is really what DIR *diving* is actually about.
(Sarcasm on) I don't understand what is DIR about that dive? You mean I have to be DIR to come out at my planned exit and not to lose my buddy? (Sarcasm off)

NWGratefulDiver:
Here's a clown dorid pic I took in the SJI a few months ago ...
Cockerill's dorid pics can be found here ...

nope, neither of those.

they looked kinda like the alabaster/dirona nudis (which was the white one that i saw), but with orange tips. and the 'spines' (gotta be a correct term for that which i don't know) were a bit thinner than the alabaster ones. kinda more porcupine-like with orange tips.

i punched 'nudibranch' into images.google.com and went through 30 pages of nudi thumbs and didn't really find anything like 'em....

lamont:
nope, neither of those.

they looked kinda like the alabaster/dirona nudis (which was the white one that i saw), but with orange tips. and the 'spines' (gotta be a correct term for that which i don't know) were a bit thinner than the alabaster ones. kinda more porcupine-like with orange tips.

i punched 'nudibranch' into images.google.com and went through 30 pages of nudi thumbs and didn't really find anything like 'em....
Like this, perhaps?

Golden_Dirona.jpg

If so, try typing Janolus Fuscus ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
Like this, perhaps?\

If so, try typing Janolus Fuscus ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

very close. i don't recall them having white tips though, i thought the tips were a solid color....

getting into the area of where a picture would be better than going off my memory though...

oh!

we also swam into a big school of fish on the way back in. we turned off our lights and could get within inches of the fish when we were inhaling and the school was almost encircling us -- we were at least surrounded in the front 180 degrees...

page 4 and the controversy has been resolved? :D

dlndavid:
page 4 and the controversy has been resolved? :D
no...it seems to of gone into nudi hell

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom