DIR controversy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally Posted by Vayu
I have seen more than a few incompetent openwater instructors from various agencies.
I agree there are no incompetent gue OW-instructors.
There are NO gue OW-instructors.

I see stupid people, they are walking around... and you know what...
they don't even know they are stupid :wink:

Vayu:
I know who you are talking about and I never said anyone in particular was incompetent. I havn't heard that from anybody else either. I don't really see what it has to do with my post.
Lynne is partly correct ... it has little to do with your post, other than to point out that "incompetent" means different things to different people ... and depending on the circumstances (like business conflicts) it can mean different things to the same person.

FWIW - GI3 has been very vocal about AG's "competence" as a diver. And his usual coterrie of lap dogs have been following along, wagging their heads in agreement. Do you believe them? I don't ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

H2Andy:
because they all got tired of whiskey

Them good ole boys will do that .......

NWGratefulDiver:
FWIW - GI3 has been very vocal about AG's "competence" as a diver. And his usual coterrie of lap dogs have been following along, wagging their heads in agreement. Do you believe them? I don't ...

That whole situation is very telling of the parties involved .... if your listening that is. :wink:

JeffG:
Slightly better than having a GI Joe and dressing him up in Barbies clothing.

You're killing me JeffG. It's rare these days to just have a major outburst of laughter. That was a good one.

Tried that, but Ken was allready in them.

TCDiver1:
Them good ole boys will do that .......

:rofl:

as to AG, you guys are so ignrent... don't you know that there's a serum
you have to take every day to make you comptent, and once you
stop taking it, you're comptent for, what, six hours tops, and then
you stop being comptent?

Everyone is trying to get to the bar.
The name of the bar, the bar is called Heaven.
The band in Heaven plays my favorite song.
They play it once again, they play it all night long

I don't really follow any of that stuff. Neither of the two people mentioned above are GUE instructors. I'm not interested in politics here, I'm talking about diving. In fact, the only people I hear talking about politics are on the internet. It is not a part of GUE policy to trash other divers and it is not ingrained in the curriculum, despite popular belief.

There are NO gue OW-instructors.

Not yet :D All I'm saying is that if you picked an instructor at random (which is not a good way to approach training) their agency affiliation may play a role. There are alot of good instructors out there with the major agencies. In some areas, these can be difficult to find.

The controversy, IMHO, is largely an illusion. What is important is the quality of instruction available to divers. No one is forcing this training on anyone and it remains open for innocents to explore without being victimized by little factions of hate.

Vayu -- I know where you are coming from, and I suspect in part you are quite right. The prerequisites and arduous training and internship process required to be a GUE instructor are going to come close to guaranteeing that the quality of instruction will be high. Everybody on this board knows more than they want to about how happy I am with my GUE class and the effort the instructor has put into me since.

But it's also true that there are very ugly political and interpersonal issues within GUE and its affiliates, and they DO involve GUE personnel, and they DO get aired in public, and that DOES affect people's perception of the organization and its members.

Excellent - There's hope for the boy.

Back
Top Bottom