DIR Compass

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What determines whether or not a compass is DIR?

DIR specifies that the compass should be a reverse-bezel variety (nearly all diving compasses are), and that it should be wrist-mounted on the left wrist.

DIR does not specify the brand of compass.

DIR does not specify the mounting system either, but bungess are (IMO) the way to go, for both compass and bottom timer/computer.

The Suunto SK-7 is an excellent instrument anyone would be assuredly pleased to own. Its buckle is one of the best available, because it allows one-handed opening and closing -- but bungees are still preferred because they also offer a continuously adjustable fit, while no band-buckle setup can.

- Warren

VTWarrenG,

One more question. Why mounted on the left wrist? I currently wear my compass on my left wrist, however I'm thinking of moving it to my right wrist since I use my left hand for guage checking and inflator/deflator operation.

jbd,

The purpose of the left-wrist mounting is to keep the compass away from the magnetic interference of a scooter, which should be driven with the right hand.

- Warren

I have a wrist slate that has been modified with bungees to slide on my left arm. I then cut the straps off a wrist mounted compass holder and with the aid of contact cement, attached the compass holder to the wrist slate.

I have over 60 dives with this arrangement and it is still intact. I also have improved my navigation skills since this arrangement allows me to steady the compass by grasping my left hand with my right hand (by the fingers). Since I am mostly blind, this also lets me place the compass near my tired old eyes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom