DIR Compass

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MASS-Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi guys,

I'm looking for a nice DIR wrist mounted compass, can any recommend one and and an online site to purchase it from?

Any help is much apprecaited! Thanks

the idea to use bungees for the strap intrigues me. Do you have measurements or pics to show how this is done? Thanks in advance.

I've been investigating something similar....

Local tekkie dive shop has been recommending the Suunto SK7 compus on a small vertical slate (about 8-inches long and the same width as the compass itself).

When not in use, stow it in a pocket, and when needed, pull out and the long slate helps to act as a lubber line. And you can also write down navigation info on the slate to refer to as you move about in your dive.

To date, I have not used this setup yet, but desire to. Once I have, I'll report back with my findings.

I don't have any pictures, I am sure there are some on a DIR site some where. The sk7 I have is in a rubber boot that has a pretty big slot, I just took some 1/8 bungee and put it through in two loops, then tied it with a fishermans knot. Basically a "regular" knot in which each end is tied to the opposing end. Knots are so hard to describe...

It took a few tries to get the length right, and find it works very well. Maybe two separate loops would be better redundancy, but I would probably be changing the bungee at the first sign of major wear.

The sk7 is much easier to use due to the floating level. It also has a much higher profile in the boot than the sk6.

Most of my buddies have it on a slate also, and it is probably overall easier to use then, but I like having the compass there and ready all the time. My wetsuit is a bit tight around the shoulders so getting/maintaining the lubber takes some doing, but that is just part of the activity to me.

Got it at DiveInn.com

Tommy

See http://www.mikey.net/scuba/gear/gauges.html for pictures of gauges with bungees attached. The basic idea is to use the black rubber boot, but cut off the straps and replace them with bungees. I love having my gauges mounted this way.

I would recommend against the "glue it to the slate" method for several reasons:

1) It's hard to use. Trust me, it gets infuriating to pull the slate/compass out of your pocket all the time.

2) It's going to get lost. When you pull the slate/compass out of your pocket, it's no longer connected to you. You all know what happens as soon as the ocean/lake/quarry/river realizes there's a loose piece of gear to be had.

3) It's going to fall apart. I tried several brands of rubber and plastic cements to attach a compass to a slate, and after losing two compasses, I gave up on the idea, and now have my compass wrist mounted with bungees. Trust me, it's better that way.

- Warren

I had trouble getting my SK6 to behave nicely with 1/8" bungee - the wriststrap slot is too narrow, and the bungee forces the inside of the compass to push hard against the rotating bezel, making it impossible to turn wih gloves. So I'm stuck with the dodgey Suunto strap until I lose it. Get the SK7 - I used to have one on a console, and it was a lot nicer compass and easier to use, plus it has the bigger wriststrap slot that handles bungee nicely.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom