DIR and weighbelts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

guerosd

Registered
Reaction score
I've read alot of DIR stuff but never found anything on weight belts. In fact, even the pictures in the DIR book dont show how to deal with lead. I know halcyon sells integrated weight pouches (ACBs) but seems like lots of people dont like them. So this leaves me with a few questions.

- Are weightbelts DIR? or are you supposed to have enough in v-weights, tanks, or other non-ditchable to negate the need for extra?
- If so then I assume its worn on the outside of the crotch strap, but if it is... doesnt that ruin access to the d-rings in front and back?

I've noticed the exact same thing. Many of the divers in the pictures I've seen showing how "Streamlined" DIR divers are don't have any lead on. A weight belt or some weight pockets along your hips would make it look not quite so impressive, I think.

What *IS* the DIR weight configuration?

According to the DIR III video, weightbelts are advocated with special mention regarding a metal buckle (like the scubapro buckle) not a plastic one. They make no comment on the ACB system however.

They also menton that when using a weight belt with a dry suit it should be worn under the harness system. When using one with a wet suit, it should be worn outside.

I can't remember where I found the link to download it but if you do a search on this board, you'll probably be able to find it. It's worth a watch if you're interested...

When I dive my double 95's with a SS backplate I don't use any weights at all. I am actually sightly negative just with the gear both in fresh and salt water.

Originally posted by padiver
When I dive my double 95's with a SS backplate I don't use any weights at all. I am actually sightly negative just with the gear both in fresh and salt water.

What do you do if you need to dump some weight?

When you dive double LP tanks you should always wear a dry suit. The dry suit not only keeps you dry but can also be used for buoyancy if your BCD/Wings fails, so you will not have to dump any weight.

Originally posted by padiver

Are you negative with FULL or empty tanks?

Originally posted by Green_Manelishi

Are you negative with FULL or empty tanks?

I am slightly negative with about 700PSI in my tanks at 15-20' in fresh water. I haven't brought my tanks down that much in salt water.

Weight belts are DIR. I am not sure if JJ would say ACB is DIR, I seriously doubt GI would say they are. If you want it from the horses mouth, go over to techdiver and ask directly.

Overall, the weight issue goes to a balanced rig. Being able to swim the rig up from depth (by dropping weight if needed) at the beginning of a dive with no BC and full gas in the tanks. Second part is to be able to hover at 10' with 500psi (alum80) with little/no air in the BC.

You don't want all your weight on the belt so if you do need to drop it, you do not go shooting to the surface and kill your self that way. It is mainly to be very buoyant at the surface if needed. (rescue situation)

Dropping a lot of weight at depth and rocketing to the surface was taught in my OW class, but any one can put a bit of thought to this and see that you would only do that in extreme circumstances.

From the DIR people I have dove with/corresponded with, weighting (bouyancy/trim) is one of the most important parts of DIR as a whole.

Tommy

Back
Top Bottom