DIR and/or Hog not for the Atlantic?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The term facetious comes to mind here, methinks.

Sarcasm doesn't travel well on the web.

There needs to be an agreed upon emoticon for "dripping with sarcasm" :eyebrow:

I thought if the poster was writing on Scubaboard that it was automatically sarcastic.

"Everything written on Scubaboard is false"

I thought if the poster was writing on Scubaboard that it was automatically sarcastic.
Now that's [-]funny[/-] sarcastic, I don't care who you are!

It don't think that it was a very good idea for him to post these two photos on his website.:wink:

Yeah, I can't spot the PADI instructor in the left picture. He should be the one kneeling on one knee only.:D

His articles are quite intresting but his attacks on DIR are really childish
the pics that he critisizes are not DIR but cave divers that are going to spends many hours underwater, thats why they have all the gear.

When it comes to DIR divers saying all divers are DIW (doing it wrong) thats just untrue, they're just Not Doing It Rite (NDIR) :D

I think the articles are just a bit out-of-date now. I get the impression that his articles were written around the same time that GI (and mindless cronies) were calling the rest of the diving community 'strokes'. As we all know, the DIR/GUE stance on alternative configurations has relaxed considerably since then.

As we all know, the DIR/GUE stance on alternative configurations has relaxed considerably since then.
Is that sarcasm or are you serious?

In the real world, I agree with you. I think most DIR oriented divers with experience to season the training and indoctrination will assess the conditions and the particular dive and then configure accordingly.

On-line I can't say that I've observed that to be true. Try suggesting that a diver use a John line for mid atlantic or NE wreck diving and see what happens. Last time I tried, the response was pretty negative with the suggestion that a spool works just as well - by people who have apparently never tried it in a 2 kt current with an encrusted anchor line jumping in 6 ft waves. Then when you suggest the line is going to break you get more DIR compliant suggestions like (my personal favorite) scootering the deco. If you suggest something really out there, like a Jersey upline may make sense in some conditions, some of the truly faithful will have a siezure.

No, serious. Since the 'early days' of GI's outspoken tirades, things have mellowed considerably. I don't doubt that GUE still believes emphatically in the validity of their DIR system, but at the same time have become much, much more tolerant (read diplomatic) in their belief (or at least spoken views) that non-DIR divers are "strokes who will die".

If you suggest something really out there, like a Jersey upline may make sense in some conditions, some of the truly faithful will have a siezure.

wait...

Still no seizure. I guess I'm not truly faithful. Who cares what someone else is diving. If it's not someone on my team, it's no skin off my back.

Tom
DIMWITGL Diver

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom