Dina Dee Dive Report 10/2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wrekdiver2

Contributor
Reaction score
10/2 am

We headed out in the calm seas to the Parking Lot. We decided a head of time to hit the Allan Martin, a wreck that isn't dived on a frequest basis. As expected, there wasn't a wait to get onto the wreck. Vis was about 30 and temps were in the mid 60's. Not much in the way of bugs came up, but scallops were plentiful for those willing to go off the wreck and look for them. The wind started to pick up and we headed inshore to the Sea Girt. Again, vis was nice and the water even warmer. A lone bug was brought up along with a few nice sized Sea Bass. Anybody lose a beach chair on the wreck? Cause its down there.

Coming back through the inlet, we were treated to the sight of a huge crane barge and a pair of tugs trying to raise that Clammer that sank in the inlet last Saturday night.

10/2 pm

Having already been diving on the AM trip, I opted to take the boat out for the night dive. Plan was to go down to the Tolten for a pair of dives. With the weather getting sloppy and the forecasted 30 kt winds around midnight, I opted to head for the Mohawk instead where vis had been around 30' earlier in the day. We did a twilight and a night dive and the divers were not disappointed with the vis. Everybody did two dives and feasted on hot dogs and pork loin between dives. Only bad part was the torrential rainstorm we sat through, but at least everybody's gear got rinsed.

And that sunken clam boat? They still hadn't raised her as of 10:30pm Saturday night.

Oh yeah, here's a little humor from Sunday's funnies

wrekdiver2:
10/2 am

We headed out in the calm seas to the Parking Lot. We decided a head of time to hit the Allan Martin, a wreck that isn't dived on a frequest basis. As expected, there wasn't a wait to get onto the wreck. Vis was about 30 and temps were in the mid 60's. Not much in the way of bugs came up, but scallops were plentiful for those willing to go off the wreck and look for them. The wind started to pick up and we headed inshore to the Sea Girt. Again, vis was nice and the water even warmer. A lone bug was brought up along with a few nice sized Sea Bass. Anybody lose a beach chair on the wreck? Cause its down there.

Coming back through the inlet, we were treated to the sight of a huge crane barge and a pair of tugs trying to raise that Clammer that sank in the inlet last Saturday night.

10/2 pm

Having already been diving on the AM trip, I opted to take the boat out for the night dive. Plan was to go down to the Tolten for a pair of dives. With the weather getting sloppy and the forecasted 30 kt winds around midnight, I opted to head for the Mohawk instead where vis had been around 30' earlier in the day. We did a twilight and a night dive and the divers were not disappointed with the vis. Everybody did two dives and feasted on hot dogs and pork loin between dives. Only bad part was the torrential rainstorm we sat through, but at least everybody's gear got rinsed.

And that sunken clam boat? They still hadn't raised her as of 10:30pm Saturday night.

Oh yeah, here's a little humor from Sunday's funnies

I missed that one this morning.

Glad to hear you got out on Saturday---we tried on Sunday but turned around in the inlet ( Barnegat) after seeing waves crashing over the jetties

Wow, Brian, that sounds like a pretty good day! I have no idea, however, how you can eat hot dogs while on a boat between dives. :11:
Besides the nausea factor that comes with fatty meat, what about the hot dog-flavored regulator? Yeesh. It is my lifetime goal to be able to do stuff like that.

SueMermaid:
Wow, Brian, that sounds like a pretty good day! I have no idea, however, how you can eat hot dogs while on a boat between dives. :11:
Besides the nausea factor that comes with fatty meat, what about the hot dog-flavored regulator? Yeesh. It is my lifetime goal to be able to do stuff like that.

I didn't hear any complaints and they ate everything I grilled. Personally, I stuck with the Pork Loin.

Nice thing about grilling hot dogs in rough seas? They are constantly rolling around on the grill so they never burn!

Once you've had grilled meat on the Dina Dee, no fancy restraunt will do. That crew knows how to eat on a surface interval. I still owe Brian a private tour of the Colorado ski slopes, complete with tailgate Brats and beer. Oh, and the parking lot won't be rocking, though air will be a little thinner than he's used to.

Brian, I'm trying to come out in October, any more trips planned?

Ted

octotat:
Once you've had grilled meat on the Dina Dee, no fancy restraunt will do. That crew knows how to eat on a surface interval. I still owe Brian a private tour of the Colorado ski slopes, complete with tailgate Brats and beer. Oh, and the parking lot won't be rocking, though air will be a little thinner than he's used to.

Brian, I'm trying to come out in October, any more trips planned?

Ted

10/2 was out last official club dive for the season...there are a few charters left for the rest of October.

Come November, we will run open boats as long as people want to keep coming out.

Thinner air, yes.....but what effect will all of that thin, clean air have on me as opposed to the dense, smoggy, polluted air we have here.

wrekdiver2:
10/2 was out last official club dive for the season...there are a few charters left for the rest of October.

Come November, we will run open boats as long as people want to keep coming out.

Thinner air, yes.....but what effect will all of that thin, clean air have on me as opposed to the dense, smoggy, polluted air we have here.

Let me know of any warm water winter trips you have planned after the first of the year and I'll try to meet you. Going through a divorce right now and can't commit until it's finalized at the end of december.

Back
Top Bottom