DIN vs. Yoke

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

All of my tanks are DIN.

I just bought an Apeks DIN fitting for my Carribean rig so that I could use it with my DIN tanks. It cost about $55.00 and took about 5 minutes to swap. Of course, I kept the yoke fitting since most Carribean shops don't have DIN easily available.

I've had fewer problems with DIN than with yoke. It also seems to be a more mechanically sound fitting. Finally, as others have indicated, it presents much less of an entanglement hazard.

Personally, I'd avoid the adapters that convert a DIN into a yoke. Instead, buy a yoke and a DIN fitting for the first stage and use them as necessary. Doing so will eliminate a couple of potential o-ring failure points and eliminate the enormous headknocking Charlie Foxtrot that results when the adapter is used.

Alot of very experienced people have given some great advice here already. My 2 cents would be that you should have a DIN for using HP tanks. The advantage of the HP tanks is that you get more gas for less weight. I dive along the Northern California coast and some of the sites can require a bit of hiking. The less the tank weighs, the better.

DIN.

The nice thing about DIN is, it's the flexible option. If you get 232 bar din valves on your tanks, you can screw plugs into them and make them yoke valves if you need to loan them to someone that doesn't have DIN regs. If you have a DIN reg, you can screw a yoke adapter onto it and use it on any tank. With yoke, you are limited to yoke only.

DIN is great - it's the only thing I'd ever use.

I'll throw in my .02, I also use DIN whenever I can. All of my tanks are valved with Thermos, either 300 bar dedicated DIN or 232 bar DIN/K. You better believe that I pack a yoke adapter when I travel, though, since I have yet to see a DIN rental tank.

I like DIN for the security of connection, streamlining, and relatively lower risk of entanglement. I once had an unfortunate lift mess up the o-ring in a yoke and kill a day's diving, don't think this would happen with a DIN.

You will want to be more careful on DINs to avoid letting water get into your cylinder. If you fill right after diving or washing, residual water in the treads can get blasted into the tank, this is not as likely to occur with a yoke valve. You can also have the pleasure of buying Delrin or even better stainless steel plugs and caps for your regulator(s) and valves. Net net, though, I would go with DIN when I could.

You only have to experience one O-Ring blowout at 100ft, for you to change to DIN. DIN is the only way to go..........

Charging more, that is BS, since the shop uses a DIN-TO-YOKE addpator to fill the Yoke Tank. Well, any good shop should.

Uh, one point no one has mentioned on the Din -vs- yoke comparison

Once your kit is all assembled the Din kit will just LOOK cleaner than the yoke one would.

-grin-

DrDuktayp

My 2 cents: I use DIN on all my regulators.

Now a further question: When one puts a DIN Adaptor to use the regulator on a K tank, there is a possibility (low) that the oring will fail. How easy is it to change to regulator to a Yoke from DIN?

One might do this not for the occaisonal dive but say going for a week to Caymans when DINs are not available.

Thank you

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom