DIN vs YOKE

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jakeeib

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
All my regs were purchased while stationed in Europe and are DIN, almost everywhere we have been since has YOLK tanks. I do have adapters and use them, but heres my question. Am I adding another piece with an O-ring that can possiblly fail? Should I just buy new 1st stages?
Jake

Just buy the yoke fittings for your regs and switch them from DIN to Yoke whenever needed. It's not hard and it's a lot cheaper than buy new regs.

Okay, let's put it this way.

If the probability of failure of the DIN O-ring is *zero* (to a reasonable approximation) and the probability of failure of your basic hunk-of-metal DIN-reg-to-yoke-valve adapter is also zero (again, to a reasonable approximation), then the probability of a failure between the reg and the valve is the same whether you're using an adapter or having the reg changed to yoke. Basically all the failure potential is in the little yoke O-ring.

The only thing that leaves, then, is the geometry. If the yoke adapter makes the reg bash you in the back of the head (or so), converting the first stage to pure yoke will set it rather closer to the valve opening. On the other hand, if you can already dive without the discomfort of being bludgeoned by the reg, there is no reason you should convert it to pure yoke, as DIN-with-adapter is far more flexible (since it can be used either as DIN or yoke).

(Oh, and incidentally, when dealing with loud breakfast kitchens, you have a raucous din with lots of yolks, but when dealing with scuba regulators, you have DIN and yoke -- think of the oxen, not the chickens.)

Yolk tanks are cool ... chicks dig 'em ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I hope all these puns don't put Jake in a fowl mood. :biggrin:

(Anyway, as I said originally, I'd just wing it, but that's a matter of a pinion.)

Yolk tanks, but no albumen tanks?

Easy Walter. He's from Ft Poke, Louisiana! :D

All my regs were purchased while stationed in Europe and are DIN, almost everywhere we have been since has YOLK tanks. I do have adapters and use them, but heres my question. Am I adding another piece with an O-ring that can possiblly fail? Should I just buy new 1st stages?
Jake

Lots of places use DIN convertible valves like this

valveprodinksm.gif

All you need is the allen key to remove the slug from the valve, usually 8mm.

If you use your adapter, ther O ring that's likely to fail is the one in the cylinder valve - which will still fail if you're using a yoke anyway.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom