DIN Regulator O-ring Standardization?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dbulmer:
Wrong size O ring
icosm14.gif
Na, Don't think so - how about ***** happens?
Oops! Sorry... I didn't catch that part in your first post that it had happened to you... I thought you'd just seen it happen.

04.gif

Of course, I meant those other guys were using the wrong size o-ring...

But you're right... There's... what... a 1/16" diameter difference between the two sizes. Seems like it'd be hard to even force the wrong size on, and still have it seal.

--Marek

Marek,
When it happened I was about to get in the pool. It hasn't happened since but I always check the O-ring now ... just in case :)

After I got my regs serviced one of the o-rings kept popping out. I discovered that though, to the naked eye (at least when they're not right next to eachother) the yolk tank valve o-ring and the din captured ring are nearly identical.

The din ring a hair thicker and a hair smaller in diameter. When I put the right o-ring in -- no more falling out.

hi, i've never seen on fall out, heard them blow from the diver not clearing the pressure before removing the regs. i get my o-rings from loew's for $1.26 per 10. no problems them. dove up to 80% o2 and in ice. the size for atomic din is #10 and for sherwood yoke is #41. hope this helps.

saying:
After I got my regs serviced one of the o-rings kept popping out. I discovered that though, to the naked eye (at least when they're not right next to eachother) the yolk tank valve o-ring and the din captured ring are nearly identical.

The din ring a hair thicker and a hair smaller in diameter. When I put the right o-ring in -- no more falling out.
OK, as I understand, there are two variations of yoke valve o-rings... the current type is -014, which is 1/2" ID and 5/8" thick; while some older types look like they were/are the same ID, but a bit thicker at about 3/4".

The "standard" DIN o-ring is -112; which I'm seeing is likewise 1/2" ID -- but has a thickness of 11/16"... that is, it falls between the two yoke valve o-rings in thickness.

So I wouldn't be surprised that yoke valve o-rings are sometimes substituted for DIN o-rings. And maybe they don't stay in as well. Wonder how they hold under pressure...

Mania-- Maybe the reason you haven't seen any DIN o-rings fall out, is that you guys (Europeans
04.gif
) all use metric o-rings... and there's no confusion. Maybe?

--Marek

Marek
That's quite possible. Did I mentioned this already - imperial system is worthless????

Guys - switch to the metric one - life is simpler and O-rings do not fall out
:D
Mania

mania:
Marek
That's quite possible. Did I mentioned this already - imperial system is worthless????

Guys - switch to the metric one - life is simpler and O-rings do not fall out
04.gif

Mania
Hey... hey... hey, now... If it was worthless, it wouldn't be called "imperial," now would it?

Besides, when I need to remember how long a foot is, all I have to do is look down.

And twelve inches to a foot? Why, that's easy... that's how many months there are in a year. Or five-minute increments in an hour.

Very logical.

Um, except for that 5,280 feet in a mile.

OK, I've said it before... I've lived overseas for so long, that I do think in metric for distance. But not for height or weight.

And I'm sorry... my diving is in fsw and psi.

--Marek

But meters and bars are muuuch easier :p
Mania
PS. Honestly - maybe my orings are simply perfect because it's falling out never hapenned to me. But after reading this thread I'll be paying a bit closer attention to them - just in case.

Marek K:
Hey... hey... hey, now... If it was worthless, it wouldn't be called "imperial," now would it?

Besides, when I need to remember how long a foot is, all I have to do is look down.

And twelve inches to a foot? Why, that's easy... that's how many months there are in a year. Or five-minute increments in an hour.

Very logical.

Um, except for that 5,280 feet in a mile.

OK, I've said it before... I've lived overseas for so long, that I do think in metric for distance. But not for height or weight.

And I'm sorry... my diving is in fsw and psi.

--Marek
The Imperial system is dead just like the empire who founded it. The remnants of the empire already switched to metric too :wink:

I went by a local rubber and gasket store. They sell hydralic hoses, o-rings, etc.

I bought a 100 and keep a handfull of DIN size 112 in a save a bag kit. I have derlin caps on my regulators and derlin plugs on all eight of my tanks. I always keep some extras on the strings. Before I go in the water I leave the plugs and caps in my dive bag. If you have an old J-valve the 112 will also fit it.

If you are not sure take your regulator to the store and try them for size. All my Dacor, Mares, and IDI regs. take the same size.

I have used some o-rings in the past that seemed to fall out. Maybe they were standard vs. meteric, I don't know.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom