Din or yoke connection?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverdon333

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am getting ready to buy a new regulator. Should I go with a yoke connection or DIN connection? I mainly dive in South Florida, but do travel to the Bahamas, etc. and planning on visiting Cozumel soon.

For recreational diving, it still makes sense to use a yoke valve, if you plan to do technical diving, DIN makes more sense.

For recreational diving, it still makes sense to use a yoke valve, if you plan to do technical diving, DIN makes more sense.

what he said.

now, IF you can get the reg you want, in DIN and a Yoke adapter at no additional cost, you'd have your bases covered :wink:

(I've had to bypass a couple of great deals on DIN tanks that have come my way because I don't have that capability)

It depends upon what tanks you will use. We had been using the "DIN/yoke combination valves" on HP steel cylinders. The little yoke conversion plugs were not particulatly robust, and after a few years were worn. These didn't seal up the o-rings at 3442 psi very well. Instead of buying new plugs, I got the DIN connectors for our regulators.

If you are using tanks at 3,000 psi, the yoke should do the job, and is found more places you rent tanks.

Good luck with it.

By far, yoke style valves are more popular in resorts and dive operations throughout the Americas and the Caribbean. Adding a yoke adaptor to a DIN regulator makes it an extra inch or two longer, and often causes it to hit you in the back of the head when you set it up as you always have. Consier that, and whether you will actually need a DIN connection anytime soon. How often have you needed one so far? There's your answer.

DIN is nice as you can use every tank imaginable with a $40-$60 DIN to yoke adapter when renting or being presented with a yoke style valve on a tank.
If you are a travelling diver that typically rents tanks, then Yoke style will most certainly work for you here in the U.S..
I dove Yoke only from '77 to '02 in Florida and the Caribbean with no difficulties other than a whole lot more "O ring" issues on the yoke valved tanks.
It was only when I wanted to start using 3442 psi steel tanks that I decided to make the switch to DIN from Yoke. This being said, I now have thermo 5 thread DIN/Yoke valves on my steels and my aluminums so that I can share my tanks with my "Yokel" friends.
There is no absolute answer on this, as even if you go yoke, you can always change out to a DIN fitting on the reg later for $40-$60.
Chug

I'd get a DIN reg with yoke adaptor. I've find that when I've rented tanks, they are the pro valves that can be DIN or yoke.

I've never seen an o-ring go on a DIN reg, but I've seen a fair amount of o-rings go on a yoke reg.

Just my $.02.

Option a) Yoke valve. 90% of the time, no problems. If you need a DIN, go to the LDS have it changed to a DIN for $60.

Option b) DIN valve. 90% of the time, use the yoke adaptor (also about $60). If you need DIN, it is already all set to go.

If you do tech diving or want to do tech diving in the near future, go for DIN. If not, go yoke. For me personally I went with DIN. I do whack my head every once in a while but you learn to dodge it after some time =)

...as a recreational diver, diving in the Western Hemisphere.....all you need are Yoke regs.....the VAST....let me repeat.... VAST...... majority of tanks will be AL 63's/AL 80's (3000 psi max rating). As a rule, I ALWAYS bring (1) yoke-only and (1) DIN-with-yoke-adapter reg set with me on trips.....so I can handle whatever type tank I come across on a trip. (I will dive steel HP tanks if they're available on-site...otherwise yoke tanks.) Those regs of mine that are configured as DIN-with-yoke-adapter----Poseidon Jetstreams/Atomic Aquatics/Mares MR16 have never presented me with with any 'issues' of hitting the back of my head on the 1st-stage....I run my 'tall' 1st-stage Atomics with the swivel turret facing 'down' which greatly reduces the reg's profile...if one were to dive that reg 'right-side-up' it might be possible to hit one's head on it I guess.

...per your profile.... 500-1000 dives.....I'm assuming this was a genuine question ???

i have both never blew a o-ring 100% good both! it's the user not the hardware lol

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom