Din O-Ring question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

james croft

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey Scott,
I was at my LDS today and a diver came in trying to locate an O-ring for his DIN 50 D reg. He said his 1st stage leaks where it screws into the tank valve. He asked for a Zeagle o- ring. We all thought that the o-ring was pretty standard for the DIN connection but the customer stated he had gone through a dozen or two o-rings. He stated the ones he was given fell off and would not stay on the end of his DIN. They were not being extruded but simply would fall off and he kept losing his o-ring. He evidently had been going around from various LDS and ordering o-rings but has not been able to get the right kind or else there is another problem.

My question is: Is there a special o-ring that Zeagle uses or could it be a problem elsewhere? I did not see his reg but a couple things come to mind. It seems that it is possible he was not given the proper o-ring. He claims they were ordered from a Zeagle repair shop. I know o-rings differ in quality, durometer, etc.

Could it be a possible defect in the machining of the o-ring groove? Or is it a case of the wrong o-ring? If it requires a special o-ring that differs from the ones I carry in my save-a-dive kit I would like to know so I could get some to keep handy. I only remember one time that I needed to change a DIN o-ring and that was on an Aqua lung. I currently dive a Flathead 6 Din setup so I am curious if I might need a different o-ring than what I have been using. Thanks for your assistance.- Jim :confused:

We use a 111 - 90 durometer buna o-ring, which is the original DIN standard, as far as I know. Jim Fox tells me that some companies use a 112 o-ring, so yours my be a little different depending on which one a specific manufacturer uses.

If the guy is having a problem with a particular din bolt, I would suggest that he have it looked at, or have it sent back to us for review...maybe there is something odd with the one he has???

Thanks!

Scott

Thanks Scott,
I told them I would get an answer from the horses mouth. Thanks for making yourself available like this to answer this question. I will pass this along to my LDS and the customer they had. I am sure they will appreciate knowing this for sure.-Jim

I was just logging in to leave an e mail involving the same issue, when I saw this post. I had just purchased a 50d from Scubatoys and wanted to switch to din. i went to my LDS ( Underwater Sports) and bought the din fitting. They installed it free of charge and off I went on a boat dive. After putting my reg on my tank I was suprised when, after turning on the air,it leaked terribly. I took off the first stage and noticed that my lds had not installed the o-ring in the first stage. Every one I have tried since has fallen out. Can we order them directly from you, Scott?

We are not set up to sell factory direct - your dive shops should be able to take care of this for you. I would be interested in knowing if they are giving you 111 - 90 o-rings.

Thanks,

Scott

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom