Digital TTL vs. Standard TTL Strobes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Starboard Tack

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I am currently running Ikelite Substrobes 225 and 150 with my Nikon N70 film camera. I am thinking to upgrade to a D200 and was wondering if these non-digital TTL strobes will work with the new rig. I like my strobes and they still work great. They are big, ugly and clumsy, but so am I so we get along well. Most new strobes out there don't have the coverage of these guys (110 degrees) so I am hoping to save the bucks and still have great lighting.

Thanks for any input.

Mike

Mike
My Ike 50's and my Nikon SB105's work fine with a digital Fuji S2 Pro. I know that's not exactly what you asked but that suggests that the 150/225 will work with a D200.
++Ken++

Thanks Ken. When I take the leap, I will give it a try. That does help.

Mike

Hi Mike. I know a few folks (pro Jesse Cancelmo among them) who have switched to the D200 and kept their analog strobes. Jesse is having good results with an Aquatica housing and a pair of Ike 200's. You might have a bit of a problem with the limited power options of the 150. There also might be a problem if you go to an Ike housing for your D200--something about special wiring necessary for the housing to accomodate the analog strobes. I recently switched from an N90 with dual Ike 100s to a D80 in an Ike housing, and I ended up biting the bullet for a new pair of the D125's. They're great little strobes and work very well with the Ike housing and Nikon camera. Not exactly cheap, though. -Clay

Thanks Clay. I'll check into the wiring requirements you mentioned. I use the 150 for fill and large spaces with the 225 as the main. As to upgrading, I won't be real surprised if I don't have a choice but to go ahead and shell out for new strobes. I just hate to do that when I have 5 different strobes sitting on my shelves here and all of them work.

I will probably go with Ikelite for the housing. That's what I have now and I love it.

louisianadiver:
... a new pair of the D125's. They're great little strobes .... -Clay

Hehehehhee - first time I've heard them described as little :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom