Digital Photo Warning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have some older CDs (3-5 years) that are unreadable on some drives already, so I started a new backup/archive plan. I picked up a couple of 250GB external USB2 drives for $90 each and use them mirrored for all my backup and archives now. They’re small enough that they fit inside a small Pelican box and I can keep one secure offsite when I’m not doing backups. I figure by the time I need more space, the price on the drives will come down again.

If you go for long term storage on magnetic tape or external hard drives, don't forget about the obsolescence factor. I'd have a really hard time extracting the data off the 8" floppy in my office (ignoring the fact that it's held in place with a magnet :)). Even 5.25" floppy drives are pretty uncommon items now. Hopefully, you don't have any data archived in that format.

On a practical basis, you will have to transfer digital files to new media every once in a while just to have hardware that is compatible with current systems.

Hi Bill, long time.... good idea on the USB drives, will have to look into it.

The CDs or DVDs don't last forever. That is why I always burn 3 copies of DVD and then have them also in my hard drive that is replaced every 3 or 4 years. As long as the DVDs are not stored in the same place or house the chance of the pictures getting lost is negligible.

Ok...lots of information posted here and lots of questions raised.

First, some background...I work in the archival services industry, mainly specializing in film and video preservation, so i know a little about this subject.

First of all the article referenced by the first post contains a good bit of propaganda...I mean, what does IBM make most of their money off of...not CDs or DVDs. Their money is made off storage systems and computers and software, so of course they want you to back up to something other than CDs

Here is the real truth...there is no perfect archival medium...and possibly never will be.

Of more concern than degradation is obsolesence. The technology becomes obsolete at an incredibly fast pace. As was referenced in some of the posts, it will be difficult, if not impossible to find decoders for the digital file you make today. The only solution is to migrate to the best format available every few years. With this in mind, you need to choose a format that lends itself to migration...ideally a lossless compresion format, or a raw format. Tiff seems to be a good solution for digital images at this point.

Now, onto why CDs and DVDs become unreadable. The main cause of degradation is pitting of the reflective surface in the CD or DVD. Most disks use aluminum as the reflective surface, and if it becomes exposed to air, it will degrade and lose its reflective capacity. the only way it gets exposed to air is if the integrity of the layers of the CD or DVD are somehow compromised...which could actuall happen from the manufacturing process. Unless you test each disk for errors before using it, thereis no way to know for sure if the disk is good, or not. The laser from the drive can't read these areas, causing a loss in data.

There are disks with silver reflective layers, and disks with gold reflective surfaces. I am not talking about disks that are colored gold, but this with an actual gold reflective layer. There are a few companies that make these, including MAM-A (formerly Mitsui). I believe that Kodak also makes gold disks, but am not sure. In all instances, avoid no-name or generic disks and use only well respected brand names. If you can buy 50 and get 50 free, that is a pretty good indicator that these aren't the disks you want.

Backing up to multiple types of storage is absolutely the best solution at this point. in fact, if you can, back up to the same types of storage used in the computer industry, such as SAIT or LTO tapes. The computer industry has been faced with this challenge for years and have designed backward compatibility into their products. In fact, both SAIT and LTO are compatible two generations back (also called n-2, meaning SAIT 3 will play both SAIT 2 and SAIT 1).

So, while there is no perfect archival medium, you can protect your data (photos) by thinking toward the future. Make sure your digital formats lend themselves to transcoding to new formats without additional loss in quality and make sure you back up to multiple storage formats to reduce the risk of loss from obsolesence or your storage medium degrading.

John

I don't think Kodak makes those gold disk anymore though Mitsui still does. Tape backup are way too expensive. I find make 3 DVDs stored in 3 different sites (home, work, mom) plus the mirrored hard drive on the PC adequate.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom