Digital Photo Warning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver Dennis:
Just a thought. Would CDs or DVDs that have been vacuum packaged and stored in a dark place, ie: safety deposit box, tend to degrade?

I think it would depend on the quality of the cd's and dvd's that were used for backup Dennis..

I've heard of this phenomenon i.e. degradation of burnt cd's.
But I was under the impression that this would only occur if the CD/DVD was exposed to sunlight or stored in very warm temperatures.
Was always of the belief that if a CD/DVD is stored in a cool dark spot it would last for decades..

I thought a external hard drive was a good idea. Until it went belly up. Hard drive crashed and there went 80gig of backups :(

Every time PC tech has increased the old tech hung around for a bit... if something replaces CD's or DVD's then your new computers should have a CD/DVD drive along with a _______drive. so you should be able to transfer your pics from CD/DVD to the new media type.

I however have an extensive cave system in my backyard so I can just draw my pictures on the walls; and we have proof that those last for thousands of years! :)

also just to throw this in, a cd's life can be extended if it is exposed to light every now every couple months. I dont mean take it out to get a sun tan but just bring them out of their dark hole and flip the bottom up to the light for a few secs and you should be good for a couple of months. Hope that helps:D

havnmonkey:
Every time PC tech has increased the old tech hung around for a bit... if something replaces CD's or DVD's then your new computers should have a CD/DVD drive along with a _______drive. so you should be able to transfer your pics from CD/DVD to the new media type.

I however have an extensive cave system in my backyard so I can just draw my pictures on the walls; and we have proof that those last for thousands of years! :)

:D

Stored correctly, gold cd's will last longer. 175-300yrs.

Kaitlyn1521:
Stored correctly, gold cd's will last longer. 175-300yrs.

Sounds good, but is it true? I know that they *age* media in an attempt to determine the life. However that process is rather open to criticism as untill something has actually lasted for a period of time it's rather difficult to determine if it's valid.

Also in 175 years will anything be around that can read a D200 RAW file, or a 175 year old DVD format?

IMO backup frequently with newer media, and don't count on your media to stand the test of very long term storage.

RonFrank:
IMO backup frequently with newer media, and don't count on your media to stand the test of very long term storage.

Definitly agree with that, but that is pretty much stardard to me since i reformat every three months :D

Back
Top Bottom