Digital Camera Housings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

greatmuta

New
Reaction score
I have a nikon coolpix 5600 I am looking at getting an underwater housing for. The local dive shop on guam deals with ikelites which apparently are a little more generic. I have also seen on scuba.com one that looks like it's manufactured specifically for the 5600. Anyone actually use this camera and any particular housing or want to offer any suggestions? Thanks!

Ikelite housings are usually rated much deeper than camera manufacturer's housings. I have an Ikelite housing for my video camera, and really like it. I also have two Olympus digital cameras with two different Olympus brand housings that are made for each camera, and have never had a problem with any of them.

greatmuta:
I have a nikon coolpix 5600 I am looking at getting an underwater housing for. The local dive shop on guam deals with ikelites which apparently are a little more generic. I have also seen on scuba.com one that looks like it's manufactured specifically for the 5600. Anyone actually use this camera and any particular housing or want to offer any suggestions? Thanks!

The Ikelites are not more generic, they are made for the 4600/5600 models just like all the other housings for this model.

The Ikelite is rated to 200'. The Nikon and Fantasea are rated to 130'. The Ikelite is about $270. The Nikon is around $200, and the Fantasea is about $140. Is the Ikelite worth 2X the price of the Fantasea. I guess that is the decision you will have to make.

The Fantasea is the least expensive, but the only one that offers one year of flood protection.

The camera currently costs $180 (likely can find it for less). I guess the question I'd ask is what R the odds of keeping this camera for years, and in two years will you be able to find a replacement body if it does flood. The amount you may want to spend on a housing is directly liked to how long (and maybe how much) you will use it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom