Difficulty breathing after helium dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If he smoked for many years, he may have a form of COPD. If he retains CO2 as diagnosed with a ABG and a PFT, hyperbaric 02 for prolonged periods can increase his C02 by decreasing his respiratory drive, making him dyspneic at some point in the dive and later on the surface, until he blows off all the excess C02.

Thoughtful theorizing--thanks.

I have a question. It is my understanding that respiratory drive in those with COPD is not significantly influenced by O2 until the latter stages of the disease, i.e., Stage III & especially Stage IV, where sxs such as marked fatigue, SOB even at rest, confusion & tachycardia are common. The description DrMike's buddy to date does not appear suggestive of obstructive airway disease of anywhere near that level of severity.

Perhaps I'm missing something because hyperbaric O2 is invovled. Can you please clarify?

Thanks,

DocV

Doc,

This is a pretty old thread. It would be interesting to hear of any updates from Mike, though.

Best,
DDM

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom