Different Cold Water Reg ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"Poseidon Xstream Deep
Super Awesome breathing! Is not affected by the cold at all. Zero breathing effort. The open design of the first stage eliminates the need for an environmental seal because it lets in such a large amount of water that cannot freeze."

How does that work? Is there water inside the 1st stage? I am confused, it is easy to do but could you explain this a little more?

sndt1319:
"Poseidon Xstream Deep
Super Awesome breathing! Is not affected by the cold at all. Zero breathing effort. The open design of the first stage eliminates the need for an environmental seal because it lets in such a large amount of water that cannot freeze."

How does that work? Is there water inside the 1st stage? I am confused, it is easy to do but could you explain this a little more?

Yes, there is water in the first stage...The water is in the ambient water chamber. Poseidon is using a form of insulative "pad" to attempt to the isolate the spring and pad from the cold internal space that is created by the rapidly expanding gas. While this should work well, it is (in my opinion) not as surefire as a totally isolated chamber such as one filled with an antifreeze solution (such as the Poseidon version on their other models), or with a dry chamber such as found on the Apeks designs.

To say that it "cannot freeze" is a stretch...ANY design can freeze under the right conditions. None of my Mares regs have ever iced over, but I know that it could happen tomorrow.....

Greg

Just to add a little. The reason that other regs have 1st stage freeze ups is because they let a little trickle of water in that gets iced when it comes ni contact with the moving parts of the regulator. These parts are so cold because of the moving air around them. Poseidon lets so much water into the spring chamber that it moves in and out before it freezes. Conventional liquid filled env. seals are way too messy. Don't be confused thinking that it lets water into the main chamber of the reg.

There can be other contributing factors as well, such as a high dew point in the gas you are using. So good dry air combined with a reg that is well equipped to handle cold water (I like my Apeks ATX50) should minimize freeflow risk from freeze-ups.

Boogie711:
Juls - a Proton Ice is not designed for cold water. The "Ice" designation refers to it's color scheme.

Go with Apeks.

Boogie,

Mares's latest catalogue now states, "it (Proton Ice) is ideal for diving in very cold water". The color scheme name is also a part of that designation. I prefer the looks of the Proton Metal, but to each his own.

Greg

Greg Barlow:
Boogie,

Mares's latest catalogue now states, "it (Proton Ice) is ideal for diving in very cold water". The color scheme name is also a part of that designation. I prefer the looks of the Proton Metal, but to each his own.

Greg

Fair enough, thanks Greg - I stand corrected. I thought I recalled some earlier threads about the "Ice" and how it only referred to the color. But I might be wrong, or it may have been a different reg.

The Mares Proton Ice will in fact work in cold water right out of the box. The only thing the dealer will need to do is check the I.P. This should be done for every reg sold however, regardless of the conditions it is being used under.

Many Proton Ice regs have been used durring the ice diveing season up here. None have shown signs of trouble under the ice, and have preformed very well.

theskull:
I use an Aqualung Legend as a primary and an Apeks TX50 as a backup. Neither has ever free-flowed on me and I quite often dive in 37-42 F water, regularly with an air temp of 20-40 F.

I know many who dive both these regs with equal results.

theskull

Funny you should say that....I took a standard legend into the ocean in february in about 36-degree water, and it eimmediately started to whistle....by the second dive, I had to abort early as a result of the freeflow.

You just absolutely can't go wrong with Apeks. That's my feeling. I've taken them into every conceivable diving temperature extreme, and never, ever , ever had a problem. Ever.

Aqua Lung Legend LX Supreme

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom