Different Cold Water Reg ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Juls64

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I have an ScubaPro MK25 reg. It tends to free flow in cold water. I have to make sure it is tuned down for the cold.

If I were to purchase a different reg for cold water diving, for example a V32/Proton Ice, would it be good in 40 degree water out of the box, or would I have to continue to have to make sure it is specially tuned?

J.

I use an Aqualung Legend as a primary and an Apeks TX50 as a backup. Neither has ever free-flowed on me and I quite often dive in 37-42 F water, regularly with an air temp of 20-40 F.

I know many who dive both these regs with equal results.

theskull

theskull:
I use an Aqualung Legend as a primary and an Apeks TX50 as a backup. Neither has ever free-flowed on me and I quite often dive in 37-42 F water, regularly with an air temp of 20-40 F.

I know many who dive both these regs with equal results.

theskull

I did have a aqualung LX (octo) second stage freeze up and free flow on me once in 42 degree water. Detuned it a bit and fine now although I use DS4/ATX50 and LEgend LX S first and second now.

One thing I REALLY like about the Apeks regs is that when you detune it it REALLY detunes it. Predive setting is like sucking through a straw and thats totally what you want from a backup

Juls64:
I have an ScubaPro MK25 reg. It tends to free flow in cold water. I have to make sure it is tuned down for the cold.

If I were to purchase a different reg for cold water diving, for example a V32/Proton Ice, would it be good in 40 degree water out of the box, or would I have to continue to have to make sure it is specially tuned?

J.

My Mares MR12/V16 regulators have never had a problem in cold water. I have more than 300+ dives in water that seldom gets above 45 degrees (bottom temp). The first stage is the most frequent failure point in cold water. The Ice second stage will add to the cold water resistance, but my Akros and Proton (polymer bodied) have never had any problems. A dive buddy ice dives with his V16 Proton, and has yet to have any free flow issues.

Greg

I use Apeks regs. They are great for cold water. Environmentally sealed, DRY sealed system, no silicone, no mess. Diapraghm regs are generally better for colder water anyways, and when you add a dry sealed system, its the ideal reg for cold water. I would recommend Apeks regs...
I have also used Poseidon regs for cold water, and never had a problem with them either (without an environmental seal).

There are a number of regs that you can use for the cold water. All of them are ready out of the box. Simple search criteria include a heat sink and the environmental seal. The reason that the Mares can get away without the heat sink is beacause the all metal second stage acts as a giant heat sink. They are all ready right out of the box. Some of the ones I have used in cold water:

Sherwood Blizzard:
Excellent performance as a recreational reg, easy servicability. Super rugged performance

Apeks ATX50
Because it is such a high performance reg and is tuned to breathe so lightly, you have to dive with it turned down a notch. I experienced a slight leak/freeflow when under the ice but restored it by turning the knob. But like LUBOLD says the environmental seal and heat sink prevents uncontrolled freeflow

Poseidon Xstream Deep
Super Awesome breathing! Is not affected by the cold at all. Zero breathing effort. The open design of the first stage eliminates the need for an environmental seal because it lets in such a large amount of water that cannot freeze.

My concern/problem with this brand reg, is the distance I have to drive to get to a shop that sells/services them. My LDS carries ScubaPro, Mares, and Poseidon($$$). They can order a few other brands like Sherwood.

I have read thru the threads on cold water regs, I just did not recall seeing if they had to be de-tuned or not.

Thanks to all!

Juls

d33ps1x:
We talking about the same reg? My experience is in the completely tuned don position the ATX 50 breaths hard. Which is nice.

Yes, if you completely tune it down it does breath a little harder (not too noticeable in the shallows). I only meant tuning it down half turn or so to eliminate the leakage/freeflow under the ice. Liking it to breathe hard is a little different but each to his own.

rescuediver009:
Yes, if you completely tune it down it does breath a little harder (not too noticeable in the shallows). I only meant tuning it down half turn or so to eliminate the leakage/freeflow under the ice. Liking it to breathe hard is a little different but each to his own.

Ahh...Gotcha. No I don't like it to breath hard. What I meant is it makes an ideal backup because it can be set so hard whereas the Legend's predive setting is somewhere near the middle of the road setting on the ATX-50 which is why I wouldn't use it for a backup without seriously tuning it down.

Once the ATX-50 is in the mouth and you're all settled, then turning it up a bit is no biggy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom