different back gas 1st stages

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

trymixdiver

Reaction score
I have noticed that most of the pics i see of DIR gear setups show the back gas 1st stages to be the same.

Are you using the same or 2 different 1st stages on your back gas?

Is it wise to use a DS4/G250 or should i stick with a SP 1st stage and a SP 2nd stage ?

I have a MK10/G250 and i am ordering a DS4/TX40 as my backup. I dont want to spend the $ for a new primary reg, my G250 is fine. This may be a stupid question but should you use a 1st stage from SP with a 2nd stage from Apeks. My gut tells me no but i want to hear from yall.

many thx
Andy

I was thinking of getting an extra DS4 to do this with and use my MK10 for Argon or a spare O2 1st.

There's nothing wrong with mixing and matching first and second stages, so long as the intermediate pressures of both are compatible. Almost all regs except the Poseidons (IIRC) use essentially the same intermediate pressure.

- Warren

Andy,
I have seen several guys with different back gas regs...
(Just yesterday with Yooper's dad in fact)
I think that for most it is a case of diving with what you have....
Not everyone can go out a plunk down the biscuits for all new regulators....

Use your SP stuff and your new Apeks....
When you can afford to buy another Apeks move the SP to your stage or deco bottles....
When you can afford to buy some more Apeks move your SP to ebay....

Or the other way around....

I personally like the idea of having all identical regs so that repair parts on hand are kept to a minimum.

As far as mixing and matching 1st & 2nd stages Warren already gave you the scoop on that.

PUG

Thats my plan. I want to be able to repair my own regs and having all the same, or close to it, will make this easier and more practical. I will be switching to Apeks but for now i am using the SP as my primary until some extra funds drop from the heavens.

Andy

The G250 second is very similar to the TX50 second. I agree with the others, it's not a problem at all. I've used a variety of first and second combos. The combo UP was referring to is a Posiedon first with a TX100 second for his backup. His new TX40/DS4 showed up too late to take with him.
By spring, I'll have finally gotten rid of all my less desirable regs for DS4 firsts. It's been a slower process, but I'll be done fixing all those mistakes soon :)

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom