Differences in Photoshop Programs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have Paintshop Pro from JASC and it does just about everything the photoshop does. It came with my Dell and I upgraded to the full version for $49. I also has tutorials built in with little videos that show you were to click, makes it very easy. The book acutally works well too.

I should have known that I was going to eat Crow when I offhandedly mentioned that I figured that Photoshop Elements would be a breeze due to previous experiences with other Adobe Products.

So far, I'd have to give the photo manipulation an A+, the tutorials and the instructions a C- at best. I'm not sure if the tutorials and Instruction manual are cut back to reflect the price/abilities of the program, but I'm going to have to agree with Dee - the learning curve is pretty steep.

I'm still trying to figure out how to mask. That's my latest pain.

Wind

Windknot:
I should have known that I was going to eat Crow when I offhandedly mentioned that I figured that Photoshop Elements would be a breeze due to previous experiences with other Adobe Products.

So far, I'd have to give the photo manipulation an A+, the tutorials and the instructions a C- at best. I'm not sure if the tutorials and Instruction manual are cut back to reflect the price/abilities of the program, but I'm going to have to agree with Dee - the learning curve is pretty steep.

I'm still trying to figure out how to mask. That's my latest pain.

Wind
There are tons of "how to's" on the internet for specific tasks. Just google one up and see it is what you are looking for. Good luck!

I've tried tons of those how-to's and tutorials and none of them are very clear. I got so confused when I first got PSE, that I'm still not always sure how to even start a new level. What I need is a couple of Saturdays spent sitting next to someone at the computer learning to do these things hand-on!

discussed in this board i have seen an example of using Photoshop 7 to remove the blue-green tint from underwater photos by manipulating "layers" in various ways. the resulting pic looked perfect as far as colors, sand is white etc.

http://pt010.da-kine.info/adjustments.htm

i realize that there is no "free lunch" but can you effectively render those blue-green pictures "normal" and can you do it with Elements? the price of the full featured photoshop is pretty $$$ for me.

dt

Thanks dtdiver

That's amazing!!

Here's one of my pics. Before and After

Dee:
I've tried tons of those how-to's and tutorials and none of them are very clear. I got so confused when I first got PSE, that I'm still not always sure how to even start a new level. What I need is a couple of Saturdays spent sitting next to someone at the computer learning to do these things hand-on!
That would be the best way to learn. You could have some specific projects, they could show you how to do them, and provide you with notes to take home afterwards. Dee, if you find that person let me know...I've been looking too!

hey sebastian

which program did you use?
it would be great if you could achieve such results with a modestly priced program like elements!!

the money i'd save i could get the 5050 and housing to replace my 2020 and pt-010
or maybe get a tray and strobe!!!
too many choices.

dt

I'm real new to photo shop so there may be another way. Elements has a color cast adjustment that works pretty well ... IF there is something black, white or gray in the picture. Except for wetsuits, there really aren't any in my pics.

Check ebay. I got PS7, new in the package, from an overstock warehouse for $65.

After following the tutorial DtDiver posted, I'm sold. I would never have figured it out on my own. Actually, I was thinking I wasted my money until now.

Check out what it did for this green blur. 1st pic is PS elements, 2nd is the original and the 3rd is PS7.

If Texass got a registerable version of PS 7 he is eligible for an uprage to CS. I have Element and PS LE because these came bundled with some photo hardware I bought. Last week I finally "bit" and Ebayed a registerable PS6.0 with a CS upgragde. Now installed and registered. A case of sinusitis grounded me this weekend so I had some free time to play with the new software. It is amazing what you an do with this program.

DEE if you are listening, I agree that someone new to Adobe should start with Elements cause it is definately lighter on the wallet and you will learn skills that are transferable to PS 7 and 8 (CS). Yes there is a ton of stuff in this program that I will never use because I am not a grapic artist (not an artist at all for that matter) and I do not plan to design websites. There is also a ton of stuff for photobuffs like me. I think it was worth the extra $$ (350). If you know someone who has this program, try it out! Now lets see ... if I quit my job and my wife leaves me I might have time to REALLY learn this thing...

---Bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom