Differences between DiveRite, Halcyon and OMS wings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ari

Reaction score
What would you consider to be the differences between these 3 manufacturers?

What would be you choice of wing (which will work for both singles and doubles)?

I know that this issue was already discussed from different angle. I am just trying to put some order in the information and to find out what are the advantaged and disadvantages of each wing.

Ari :)

EXPLORER:
Halcyon offers the Explorer wing for double tank diving . The Explorer wings are available in three lift capacities to satisfy various buoyancy requirements, and are able to accommodate a wide range of tank sizes, exposure protection, and equipment requirements. Halcyon explorer wings are available in 40 lbs., 55 lbs., and 70 lbs. lift capacities.

Explorer wings have been slightly modified for even greater streamlining and efficiency. The new Explorer wing is slightly narrower and longer, with a reduced buoyancy tube behind the neck to minimize heads-up trim. In addition, the inflator elbow is now located in the back center of the wing to eliminate hitting the tank neck during full inflation.

Halcyon's Explorer wing is still made from the most rugged materials available for a buoyancy compensator. The new 400 denier Cordura bladder has a tighter weave and is therefore more puncture resistant than a broad weave. The Explorer's 1680 ballistic nylon outer shell is designed for maximum abrasion resistance. The two materials used together offer the best protection from damage in any wing design.

Heavy-duty zipper has a three-inch wide strip of Cordura to prevent zipper chaff on the inner bladder
Two-inch webbing-reinforced backbone construction
"Trap-door" drainage system allows water to drain rapidly from the outer cover to minimize excess weight and diver effort reboarding the dive boat
Inflator elbow strain relief constructed from two-inch nylon webbing minimizes wear on this connection
Narrower, elongated construction improves streamlining and trim
Relocated corrugated hose eliminates stress from impact with tanks

The Explorer wings can be mated with either the Halcyon hard-coated aluminum or six pound stainless steel backplate, providing divers with a variety of weighting solutions. The 40 lbs. Explorer wings provide a minimalist approach to buoyancy where double aluminum 80s and a wetsuit are the rig of choice. The widely popular 55 lbs. Explorer wings are ideally suited for use with situations requiring additional lift such as with heavy double steel tanks.

The 70 lbs. Explorer wing is designed specifically for heavier steel tanks and multiple stages where divers are unable to attain proper lift from the Explorer 55 lbs. wing.

DIVE RITE CLASSIC:

Diving's first air cell designed specifically for use with double cylinders, Classic Wings (item number BC2030) provide up to 59 pounds/27 kg of lift. They are designed for use with medium- to heavyweight doubles (Classic Wings should not be used with single cylinders). These wings can accommodate up to two 104-cubic-foot/16 litre back-mounted cylinders, and one 80-cubic-foot/11 litre stage bottle. A 22-inch/56cm low-pressure inflator hose is standard. Available in Black, Blue and Red.

Classic Wings are popular among many hard-core cave divers, who appreciate their simple, streamlined, "no frills" design.

OMS:
This is the new OMS non retractable wing. OMS recently brought out this wing for the cavers and wreck divers who wanted a tough wing that could take the abuse. The wing is constructed of heavy 1000 denier Cordura with a 5.5 oz backing of urethane. Inside the cover is a heavy millimeter urethane bladder. Being a technical BC there is also a plain elbow on the back instead of a pull dump.

What's Inside - Inside the cover is located the bladder.
The Top portion is the standard 1000 denier Cordura with a 5.5 oz backing of urethane

The Black Rubber part you see below this is just that rubber, Commercial quality rubber. Some of the other manufacturers use just plain jane innertubes here.

Below the rubber you will see the clear urethane bladder. This is a real bladder not a urethane backed canvas. It is also a heavy gauge to take the abuse that sometimes happens with technical exploration.

What would be you choice of wing (which will work for both singles and doubles)?
I have never owned a DiveRite, but I dive with some people that do. I own two Halcyon wings, but Halcyon does not make a wing that works well (it will work, but IMHO not well) for singles AND doubles...you will need two wings. I have a buddy that dives an OMS wing and his is even larger than my Halcyon...I think that DiveRite is the only company of the three that purports to make a wing that can be used for both.

Halcyon does not make a wing intended for both singles and doubles. The Diverite Classic wings pictured above are designed (per mfg.) for doubles only. However, Diverite makes the Trek 40# and Rec 50# wings which are both specified by the manufacturer for singles and doubles. Both of these have removable bungees to prevent tank wrap. The Rec wing would be my choice.

The OMS wing pictured above will not work well with singles because it will tend to wrap around the tank and trap air.

There is one other wing that I know of which might be suitable, the Seatec. Check with Lloyd Bailey's on that one.

Aquamaniac, Great overview of the disfferent wings out there.

I am emailing back and forth with Fred T and hope to understsnd better what is the right setup for my own needs.

I gather that the Fred T backplate will work with all 3 wings, so the next thing to think about is the right Webbing/Harness.

Ari :)

Ari.
Glad to have helped.
Fred knows his stuff when it comes to BP's and wings.

He is pretty mean with a speargun too, so be nice to him:D

Dave

Back
Top Bottom