Difference in Ikelite 6" dome ports?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Flood my camera???? Just for that Catherine, I'm going to buy a SECOND BODY so I will have a back up...:D

dbh:
What a bunch of whiners....my Subal Dome is 2.5X more than the Ike 8" :)

Dave

And that is a good thing because? :D

I understand supply and demand... in this case very limited demand = costs to manufacture what is basically a limited production run makes costs much higher per unit.

However it's still difficult to spend more for a plastic housing and a couple of ports vs. the incredibly well built and extremely complicated body of the D200. I'm betting the margins on underwater housings, strobes and accessories are also very big, and not so much on camera's like the D200 due to a very limited number of suppliers.

I'm not really whining, ohhh wait, sure I am!!! :D

I am sure it is even worse in the digital era. The lifespan of the digital cameras is ALOT shorter than the film cameras. I plan on keeping my D200 for a long time (famous last words).

Dave

Rooster:
Plastic?!! :06: I'm a little surprised. From the photos it looked like anodized aluminum. Obviously I assumed allot from what I had seen in all the photos. I wonder what type of plastic it is. I spent a good part of my life machining aircraft parts out of high tech metals and plastics. I guess the all plastic bubble accounts for the roll problem. I know some plastics can be as hard to machine as aluminum. I can see why some might have a hard time paying the same price for an all plastic part, as opposed to an aluminum one.

It is all plastic, plexi dome, and I'd guess acetyl for the body, but I'm sure.

This dome is less buoyant than the Aquatica/Ikelite dome was, and it had an aluminum bezel... The radius of curvature (and optical properties) appear to be the same, but hte dome looks to be cut down a little, trapping less air.

dbh:
I plan on keeping my D200 for a long time (famous last words).
Sure...

I've been shooting my D1x for over 4 years! :D And I'm going to keep it! What digital owners seem to be missing is that a good shooting camea is a good shooting camera regardless of what else comes along.

Now with the D200 and 10+ mpix camera's, that camera meets my needs even to close to MF quality images. So I plan on buying one, and shooting it for a decade. For the price, I SHOULD be able to? Right?

I'm sure there will be improvements, but I think they will come at a much slower pace vs. the past 5 years.

I'm HOPING that my D200 + housing are investments in equipment that will last a long time. I can not afford to dump so much into bodies that are updated every year. :D

Ryan:
It is all plastic, plexi dome, and I'd guess acetyl for the body, but I'm sure.

This dome is less buoyant than the Aquatica/Ikelite dome was, and it had an aluminum bezel... The radius of curvature (and optical properties) appear to be the same, but hte dome looks to be cut down a little, trapping less air.

Sure...

I just got mine in the mail this morning. It does appear to be a little smaller than my Aquatica 8" dome, I'll measure when I get home tonight. Unfortunatly I won't have time to test before my trip to Palau, other than doing a tub leak check.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom