Difference between Yellow and Red site?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NDL_Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Dove the Lake today, yellow site, and SCLTD was everywhere you looked. So why even call it Yellow. They should only have Green and Red sites. To me it just like saying your a little bit pregnant. Either there is Diseased in area or not from a deconamination perspective. Having to decontaminate after Red to go to yellow is silly from what I am seeing. Deconamination from Diseased to non-diseased area makes sence.

There are a lot of different coral diseases. SCTLD is just one, and is of particular concern because it spreads so quickly. You really cannot tell from a single dive if a diseased coral is due to SCTLD or not. It takes photos and repeated surveys/photos.

Dove the Lake today, yellow site, and SCLTD was everywhere you looked. So why even call it Yellow. They should only have Green and Red sites. To me it just like saying your a little bit pregnant. Either there is Diseased in area or not from a deconamination perspective. Having to decontaminate after Red to go to yellow is silly from what I am seeing. Deconamination from Diseased to non-diseased area makes sence.
I am here now as well. Everything I have seen from Andrea 2 in the north to The Lake in the south is in pretty bad shape.

Have you dived Bari Reef, assume it is the same?
7 dives on Bari over the last week, my friend. Different times of the morning, day and night. Hard corals are looking pretty overwhelmed by the disease. Still a great dive site though. Found this guy in 53 feet the other day:

1691969917286.jpeg

1691969964937.jpeg

So talking to some people today and Green, Yellow and Red are based upon some percentage of infections per total coral type. So green is not infection free but below some threshold, yellow is some percetage infected of infected type coral above a green threshold and red is, well just a mess for those type of coral that are vulnerable to the infection. Good news it is only infecting a few types of coral. IMHO, it is really hitting Maze coral real, real bad.

YMMV

It is not surprising that green, yellow and red are all blurring together.

Do remember this disease hits hard and fast. Based on experience at other islands, it will be over at Bonaire in 6 months as all corals impacted will be wiped out. Those coral skeletons will become part of the reef structure and other things will start growing on them.

It is time to start asking how a site goes from red back to green.

I dove Vista Blue today (just past Atlantis kite surfing). It is listed as Green (Green = No Concern per STINAPA site). Well let me tell you, I was concerned. While it was not nearly as bad as Orange or Red sites, it was definitely infected.
I have a feeling alot of green sites (all) or going Orange VERY soon (should be already). I have not seen a disease free (Green = No Concern) site yet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom