Difference Between HP Steel 119 & 120

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Deuces

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
What is the difference between a Steel 119 and 120?

As an example, at a LDS, their Worthington X7 HP 120 is $399.99 while their Worthington X8 HP 119 is $349.99.

Both are at 3442 psi with the same empty and full buoyancy. The 120 is 38lb empty while the 119 is 42lb empty. Apart from that, I'm confused.

Thanks.

The 120 is 4 lbs lighter, .75 inch dia smaller, 4 inches taller and holds 1 more cu ft of air. That's about it. Of the two the 120 is the tank to get in my book if you can do the height.

The 119 is 8" in diameter and the 120 is 7.25" in diameter.

The 119 is less expensive to make than the 120 as it requires 2 draws vs. 3 draws for the 120. A draw is taking the shell thru a drawing die to make the tank taller.

Lee
www.seapearls.com

Thanks all for the reply.

Why would a 120 be better than a 119?

Deuces:
Thanks all for the reply.

Why would a 120 be better than a 119?
The big difference is the external size and shape of the cylinders.

If you tend toward tall and thin the 120 will probably trim a little better. If however you are shorter and heavier the 119 may be a better shape.

The amount of gas in the cylinder is a very small consideration when choosing between these two, but the overall external size and shape of the cylinders is everything.

If you are shorter and heavier the 119 concentrates more of its weight higher on your back than the 120. This will compensate for the tendency of the upper half of your body to be more bouyant. If you are taller and thinner then the longer cylinder of the 120 will spread its weight over a longer area of your body, the net result of this may prevent you from doing head stands when you don't want to.

You might also find the 120 fits better on some dive boat tank racks since it is the same diameter as an Aluminum 80, the 119 is a slightly larger diameter and may not fit well on some dive boats.

Mark Vlahos

The 120 is simply taller and thinner and lighter than the 119; and slightly more expensive to make. That's it.

I think I'm leaning towards the 119 as I'm clearly "shorter and heavier" ... the $50 difference ($100 for 2) is a nice push towards that side anyway.

Thanks again!

Mark Vlahos:
The big difference is the external size and shape of the cylinders.

If you tend toward tall and thin the 120 will probably trim a little better. If however you are shorter and heavier the 119 may be a better shape.

If you are shorter and heavier the 119 concentrates more of its weight higher on your back than the 120. This will compensate for the tendency of the upper half of your body to be more bouyant. If you are taller and thinner then the longer cylinder of the 120 will spread its weight over a longer area of your body, the net result of this may prevent you from doing head stands when you don't want to.
Mark Vlahos

Even though it sounds right, I'm not so sure in fact the 120 puts the weight low enough to help a tall person with the trim. I dive with a HP120 and found that 2-4# of trim weight high on the tank or in a BC trim pockets really helped with getting a better horizontal position. You'd have to look at the center of gravity vs. position on the body.

Another reason passed around for using (or not) the 120 is whether you are tall enough to sit in your BC/BP on a flat surface (not all boats have seats in front of the tank racks).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom