Difference Between HP Steel 119 & 120

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Deuces,

For what it's worth, I'm on the short side of 5'8" and dive the 119's. I love them.

the K

mark99:
Even though it sounds right, I'm not so sure in fact the 120 puts the weight low enough to help a tall person with the trim. I dive with a HP120 and found that 2-4# of trim weight high on the tank or in a BC trim pockets really helped with getting a better horizontal position. You'd have to look at the center of gravity vs. position on the body.

Another reason passed around for using (or not) the 120 is whether you are tall enough to sit in your BC/BP on a flat surface (not all boats have seats in front of the tank racks).
I am 6' tall and weigh 220 pounds. I have a pair of Faber low pressure 95's, these cylinders are generally comperable to the 119's. I dive a steel backplate. With the 95's I trim out fairly well, but I can have a tendency to do headstands if I don't watch it. I have made adjustments by placing weight on a weight belt and in other places to get my trim right. If I weighed less, and therefore had less FAT around my torso this problem would be even worse. I have used many different cylinders and for me right now the 95 is the best choice. If I were to loose 45 or 50 pounds I would expect that the 95's would have me doing headstands all day long. I can only speak from my own experience on this, but I have tried many different cylinders, and the overall size and shape of a cylinder does make a difference. It just depends on how picky you are about dialing in your trim.

Mark Vlahos

The Kraken:
Deuces,

For what it's worth, I'm on the short side of 5'8" and dive the 119's. I love them.

the K

I am with Kraken. The main factor to consider is your body size, specially height....
The worthington 119 is shorter than PST on the spec. but, I am not sure if it would be still true after attaching the manifold because the neck of worthington is higher than PST about the half inch as I have seen...

Deuces:
What is the difference between a Steel 119 and 120?

As an example, at a LDS, their Worthington X7 HP 120 is $399.99 while their Worthington X8 HP 119 is $349.99.

The 119 is an 8 inch diameter tank and is shorter by about 4 inches. I like the shorter tanks. Depends on how tall you are which is best. The 120 is the same 7.25 inch diameter and height as a standard AL80.

120 is a lot of air. I've got a LP95 that comes back typically with 1000+ pounds in it and of course the LP fill pressure is only 2400

I see your profile says 16-50 dives. So you are new. You have to figure that if yo dive frequently in only another 50 dives your air consumption will improve and you'd by best off with a 100 cu ft tank.

ChrisA:
I see your profile says 16-50 dives. So you are new. You have to figure that if yo dive frequently in only another 50 dives your air consumption will improve and you'd by best off with a 100 cu ft tank.

That's a good point. Thanks.

And actually I haven't done any boat diving yet. It's all been shore. Considering the accessibility in Monterey, there hasn't yet been a need to do boats.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom