Difference between High Flow, High Pressure and Intermediate Pressure ports ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not all regulators have high flow ports. For example a ScubaPro MK-25 which is one of the best first stages you can purchase doesn't have them.

Actually it does, the end port is advertised to have higher flow than the others. This is tested by removing all the port plugs, connecting the regulator to a very high flow capacity air source (much higher flow than a tank valve) and measuring maximum flow out of all the ports simultaneously. More air comes out the end port due to it's location. This doesn't have anything to do with flow characteristics while air is flowing out of one port only, and seems to have zero effect on actual regulator performance when connected to a 2nd stage and a tank.

BTW, marketing is different from sales or advertising; lately there's been a lot of 'marketing bashing' going on. While I'm happy to pile on the false advertising and deceptive sales techniques nonsense that pervades the scuba gear industry, I don't think this is rightly called 'marketing'. That's more about determining which groups of people your product is attractive to, and how to reach them. Obviously there are overlaps with sales and advertising practices, but technically they are different areas of business.

Ahh, who am I kidding, they're all knuckleheads.....hehe

... BTW, marketing is different from sales or advertising; lately there's been a lot of 'marketing bashing' going on. While I'm happy to pile on the false advertising and deceptive sales techniques nonsense that pervades the scuba gear industry, I don't think this is rightly called 'marketing'. That's more about determining which groups of people your product is attractive to, and how to reach them. Obviously there are overlaps with sales and advertising practices, but technically they are different areas of business.

I thought sales was a subset of marketing and what you describe is another subset called market research. But since my education has been largely scientific/technical, I'm probably wrong.

Actually it does, the end port is advertised to have higher flow than the others. This is tested by removing all the port plugs, connecting the regulator to a very high flow capacity air source (much higher flow than a tank valve) and measuring maximum flow out of all the ports simultaneously. More air comes out the end port due to it's location. This doesn't have anything to do with flow characteristics while air is flowing out of one port only, and seems to have zero effect on actual regulator performance when connected to a 2nd stage and a tank.

BTW, marketing is different from sales or advertising; lately there's been a lot of 'marketing bashing' going on. While I'm happy to pile on the false advertising and deceptive sales techniques nonsense that pervades the scuba gear industry, I don't think this is rightly called 'marketing'. That's more about determining which groups of people your product is attractive to, and how to reach them. Obviously there are overlaps with sales and advertising practices, but technically they are different areas of business.

When I get home I will flip over my Mk-20/25s and see if the end port is marked as high-flow. I don't remember them (or MK-10s or MK-5s) being marked but then again my memory is not what it used to be. I know the MK-16s are marked with 1 or 2 high flow ports.

Most people think that advertising and marketing are the same thing. However, advertising is only a small subset of marketing.

---------- Post added February 20th, 2014 at 10:37 AM ----------

I thought sales was a subset of marketing and what you describe is another subset called market research. But since my education has been largely scientific/technical, I'm probably wrong.

I am in accounting but took a few marketing courses. Marketing is about maximizing the sales of a company and can include things like advertising, market research, product development, etc. Some of the math actually gets high end. Someone with a technical background would probably like it.

Back
Top Bottom