Difference between ALU Compact 80 and ALU Standard 80

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hppyfam

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
So LDS uses Standard 80 for Nitrox rentals and Compact 80's for standard air. Recently, local FB group 2x Standard 80 come up for sale, long story short bought them, had them vip' all good.

I have tried googling but only ever find articles on steel vs alu. So here I am... what is the difference between the two? (Links to read things are just fine, I just couldn't find anything)

My guess is they are using Catalina S80 and C80 tanks. The specs are attached.

Attachments

• ScubaSpec.8-30-12color.pdf
    153.7 KB · Views: 168
So LDS does use Catalina S80/C80 the tanks I bought are Luxfer? S80

So LDS does use Catalina S80/C80 the tanks I bought are Luxfer? S80
Luxfer's 3000psi (207bar) 80 is very similar to the Catalina S80. Luxfer also makes a 3300psi 80 which is calls a "Neutral 80". Specs attached.

Both the Catalina and Luxfer 3300psi 80s are kind of pointless since they almost the same size as the standard 80 except they are heavier and more expensive and harder to get filled to the appropriate pressure. I'd save the price difference and put a 4lb weight on the upper camband if you need the weight.

Or save up for an HP steel 80 or 100.

Attachments

• Luxfer-Cylinder-Spec-Sheet.pdf
    148.8 KB · Views: 93
Luxfer is now out of the scuba aluminum tank business. Metal Impact took it over.

That's it! Its the Luxfer 3300PSI... I picked up 2x of them for $150, plus a $10 vip+fill. So 170 for 2 tanks seemed like a steal.

I didn't have an issue having it filled to 3300 cold the 2x I have had them filled.

Far as jumping on the steel tank route.. steels go for upwards of $400 on the market place. Not something I am trying to invest in quite yet.
Luxfer's 3000psi (207bar) 80 is very similar to the Catalina S80. Luxfer also makes a 3300psi 80 which is calls a "Neutral 80". Specs attached.

Both the Catalina and Luxfer 3300psi 80s are kind of pointless since they almost the same size as the standard 80 except they are heavier and more expensive and harder to get filled to the appropriate pressure. I'd save the price difference and put a 4lb weight on the upper camband if you need the weight.

Or save up for an HP steel 80 or 100.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom