Did you honor your training?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It bothers me when new divers have the "trust the divemaster and you'll be fine" approach.

In my last two classes, I have had students tell me during the academic portion of the class that they had certified friends tell them they just had to learn the dive planning stuff for the test and could forget it after that because in the real world of diving a DM will lead them and keep them safe.

I wonder how many of my past students were told that as well but did not share than with me.

I was thinking about this topic this morning, because, even if you do "honor your training", if you get no feedback and no further instruction, you will very likely get sloppy. It's the nature of things. Even after four cave classes, I noted on the video Dive-aholic took of me in December, that I was dropping my knees on the loading phase of my frog kick. For people with far less time to ingrain good habits, those habits are going to leave them much faster, even with the best of intentions.

Thanks to everyone for some good thoughts and new perspectives. It's given me some new material for training courses (e.g., the two replies immediately above).

I was also amused by the replies concerning the wording of the title, thanks for those :D

-Bryan

I always try to look like I know what I am doing. I view diving as a professional hobby and not something to be taken lightly.

I am by no means experienced and have seen and heard of many divers who were VERY experienced ending up dead for various reasons. I took what my instructors said very seriously and while I dont necessarily see it as me honoring them...I believe it shows a respect for powers that are out of our control. Underwater is not a natural environment for the human body. When you lose respect for what you are doing, you are heading for disaster.

That's my two pennies.

In my last two classes, I have had students tell me during the academic portion of the class that they had certified friends tell them they just had to learn the dive planning stuff for the test and could forget it after that because in the real world of diving a DM will lead them and keep them safe.

I wonder how many of my past students were told that as well but did not share than with me.

I agree wholeheartedly, BUT it also shows the DM's what an incredible responsibility they have to those in their care. They may expect one thing from their students...but it is important to remember the students view them as the master jedi.

So far I've gone beyond what I learned in my course to do better than, rather than "honor" my training.

In my OW course I had moderate quality instruction. Not great but not the worst. When I asked about different kicks or buoyancy control I was told I could practice on my own in the pool and to take the PPB course. I don't really fault my instructors, though many might. They were clearly "volunteer" instructors who were part time instructors and warm-water divers. They taught me what I'd need to survive some warm water dives and get me into more training classes through their shop. A reasonable business model, I guess, just not one that works well for me.

Since my course I found scubaboard and have learned far more reading on here than I gained directly from my course instructors. I learned about back kicks, which my instructor didn't even know about, and worked on my own in the pool to practice buoyancy so I'd be better than my training.

So far, I believe I'm making progress.

well to start out i will answer the question that this thread is based on and the answer is yes, i take it very seriously. I would not have been taught the basics that are taught in the OW class if did not need them. But i was not taught anything like trim, or to worry about stirring up silt in my OW class. since i took the class i have watched videos online, spoken with my instructors, and poured through these forums. but the only skill that was touched on in class was buoyancy.

secondly i think that your answers will be really skewed on here. my reason for suspecting this is that only the divers who care enough to get feedback and look up information will be on here. the people who dont take the risks of diving seriously probably dont even know that this forum exists.

I agree wholeheartedly, BUT it also shows the DM's what an incredible responsibility they have to those in their care. They may expect one thing from their students...but it is important to remember the students view them as the master jedi.

That is a scary concept because i know personally i feel much safer when i'm with a more experienced and calmer diver, but i still never get into the water without a basic dive plan and at minimum preliminary calculations (if i have a computer) or detailed calculations (if i dont have a computer) for air, depth, and other things that might apply to the dive.

Regulator & Snorkel exchange...I have not done that in years :p

Yes, that's a strange one. You would do this with your face underwater if you were in huge waves or descended, forgetting to switch to the reg first? And yes, I have done that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom