Did you ever change your regular dive buddy?

Did you ever have to change your regular buddy?

• No, never

Votes: 13 32.5%
  • No, but I'm seriously thinking about it

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Yes

Votes: 25 62.5%
  • Yes, but I regret it (second worse than the first)

Votes: 1 2.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes. My son grew up and went to college. Sniff. But I've found other very good dive buddies along the way.

Since you resurrected this 8-year-old thread, Deb, I am wondering how Art.chick's marriage is going. I'd bet a lot of money that she's no longer married to that guy. :wink:

I have 3 buddies... between all 3 I get to dive almost as much as I'd like to :D

Yes. Never due to competence, geography or timetable. The others would require surgery.

When I first started, my husband was my main buddy. We got into this to have a togetherness activity. As we dove, issues bubbled up between us that seemed diving-related but were deeper (ie: I would indicate that I was low on air & he would reacte as if I was being overly fussy & keep goofing around while I neared panic. His impression of me as being too twitchy interfered with our communications.)

He got embarrassed when I exited in a crawl or entered with my fins on. I got sick of having my dives micromanaged & began planning dives without him. I found many buddies one dive at a time & still circulate among them, but I have added my husband back in the mix to a degree. Nonetheless, I usually regret including him because he keeps me up all night before we are supposed to dive together. Then he badgers me about needing too much sleep. There are some people who can use diving as a way to pick on others. It is not worth it to tolerate bad buddy reltions.

Yes, I know it's 8 years old, but couldn't resist. Having a bad buddy is one thing. Sleeping and living with a bad buddy is taking it to a whole new level. Maybe he's more than just a bad buddy.

Nope. I have had a lot of buddies. In fact, I like diving with a variety as to make me a better diver. Hopefully can also show my buddy something in return.

My situation is similar to Walter's (post #6). I've had a lot of insta-buddies when diving with my Local Dive club, some of them were co-working but just stopped diving, but now, I have one who likes diving as much as I do.

I have lots of dive buddies. The two I enjoy the most are an AL40 and a rubber chicken. I like the AL40 because it's always right where I expect it to be ... and I like the rubber chicken because it always reminds me that the reason I dive is simply to have fun ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

i've dumped a dive buddy. He swam so close he kept kicking me in the knee joint, or being in my frog kick space. I asked him not too several times. It was super annoying. i dumped another buddy because he became obsessed with spearfishing, I was willing to compromise, but he wanted to hunt every dive.

i've lost dive buddies to life getting in the way. marriage, kids, moving, lost interest etc.

I'm very lucky that the guy it's most convenient to dive with (my husband) and I are a very compatible diving pair. He likes to take pics and I like to spend enough time somewhere to get a good look at the micro-life and behaviors. We both like to train and practice. So, I'm gonna keep him. :)

Back
Top Bottom