Did the instructor short change me

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Unit240

You must report this individual to his agency. Someone will most probably die or be seriously injured if he is allowed to continue.

You may be concerned about possible legal action from him but this should not be an issue if you confine yourself to reporting the facts.

If your own certifications are revoked then so be it. At least when you get properly certificated you will be sure that you have been properly instructed in the skills you need to keep yourself and maybe others safe..

As for changing your name why should you. You've done nothing wrong and if you report this individual you'll be doing exactly the right thing.

Originally posted by Welshman
Unit240

You must report this individual to his agency. Someone will most probably die or be seriously injured if he is allowed to continue.

You may be concerned about possible legal action from him but this should not be an issue if you confine yourself to reporting the facts.

If your own certifications are revoked then so be it. At least when you get properly certificated you will be sure that you have been properly instructed in the skills you need to keep yourself and maybe others safe..

As for changing your name why should you. You've done nothing wrong and if you report this individual you'll be doing exactly the right thing.
The reason I suggested calling PADI (If it was PADI) is to get the ball rolling as ASAP.. most likely they would have asked you to please put it in writing, but the calling would get questionaires out to his past students almost immediately..
If you haven't done some of the skills in OW, thats not a good thing... for example if you never removed and replaced you mask under supervision, the first time you actually do it you might panic.. The idea is to be confortable with a skill and its reassuring to know you have done it already..

I just think back on some of the drills I had to do in cave training, I know if any of the scenarios ever came up I'd have no problem doing it for real...

Think about current training.. I'm a CCR instructor and I routinely practice many of the bailout skills I need, not because I'm not proficient but because I want it to be as automatic as possible if the real need arises...

The only way I would change my name, is if I did NOT report this instructor! That would be the only thing to be embarrassed about. What is more important, the possiblity of retaking your certs, or someone elses life?

Back
Top Bottom