Did NOT complete OW certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think the link to Walter's posts is excellent. Keep practicing until you are comfortable with the skill and don't feel pressured to do anything you don't feel good about. There's no shame in realizing you can't do something that's not natural.

The fact that you're posting here for help shows you're trying to work at it and that's all anyone can ask of you.

Don't rush and take your time, there will always be other classes.

Don't be discouraged, please let us know how it goes!

And remember the regulator actually helps you, don't spit it out <grin>!

Wys.

Hey,
Ive never once swam underwater with out plugging my nose, suddenly when I found out i had to take my mask off underwater and breath for aminute without it, i thought i was done for. my friend tried to teach me in a lake to swim underwater even just 6 feet while blowing out a few bubbles out my nose when i feel the water comming up, and after alot of headace, caughing choking and throwing up it was time to take the course,

when it came time for me to try i signaled my instructor to go up and i told her ive never been able to do it so far, what she told me worked for me but it was hardest taking the first breath and trying to relax, she told me to actaully talk to your self in your head, in through my mouth (maybe try sucking like a straw),blow out through my nose, that keeps the water out of your nose. before i just couldnet do it but suddenly just boom it worked.

I dont know if this helps or not, but it helped me . I hope you find somthing to help you because once you overcome yourself, its a great feeling.

Sorry I couldnet be more helpfull, Good look, waiting to see ya at the bottom

Jamie

I felt a little clostraphobic in the pool but thats cause i was inclosed in a pool. Wait til you hit open water its waaaaaaaaaaaaay better!!! Good luck and dont give up!!!!

Welcome to the board. Like everyone else here has said, you just need to get over the fear by working in baby steps in very shallow water...I did not know Sierra offered SCUBA, of course I haven't attended for, umm, a while. Mom has taught there since 1980.
I may be there next weekend. Im not some sort of superhuman SCUBA instructor but I would be happy to spend a couple of hours working with you if you like ( no charge). PM me if you like. Either way, don't give up, this is an awsome thing! You can do it:scubadive

Definately take your time like others have stated, especially if you want it that badly. I sent you a pm with similar info, but I'll post some of it here as some instructors may use this method in the future.

Here's a method that was used on some Marines. These are not to be performed unsupervised as you have established a minor issue.

On dry land:
Fill mask with water and place on face full. Clear. Repeat until comfortable.
W/ snorkel and mask, standing on land, put face in a rinse tub just enough to flood the mask. Flood, clear, exit water. Repeat.

Bathtub:
Take a comfy bath w/ snorkel and mask to practice clearing in a relaxed environment.

Pool:
If showers are available, take snorkel and mask. Fill mask, place on face full, clear, repeat at comfy level.
Once comfy in the showers after other practice sessions at home, go to the shallow portion of the pool. If you can get a tall bucket or something to sit on so you can stand up suddenly, that's perfect. Sit on something that will keep your head near the surface (top of mask level is best) w/ snorkel and mask. Flood mask at your comfy level, clear, repeat as needed.

W/ Instructor in pool:
See if your instructor will get with you just for this as you'll need scuba gear. Perform the EXACT same action as the other pool session. The only difference is you want the regulator and not the snorkel in your mouth. Still sitting just below the surface on somthing that will allow you to stand up in a panic.
As you build your confidence, work to a seated position on the bottom of the shallow end, then to a chest-down laying position in the same spot. Eventually you can work your way to 6 ft, then 8, then 10-12 and so on.

Everyone here has great words of encouragement and ideas to help you through your problem. When people are this uncomfortable underwater (or in water) you have to be very honest with yourself of why you want to put yourself through this. Is it to conquer your fear and uneasiness or do you truly have an underwater passion?

If you have that passion then by all means continue slowly and safely. Talk to your dive instructor and find out how much time until the next session, if still room try to get in. Now until then start off in the bathtub and lay face down with just a snorkel and breath without holding your nose. Do this until you don't even think about it anymore and it becomes second nature. Then move to a supervised pool and do this again. Once you feel more comfortable with "water in your nose" you may be ready to try it in class again.

As a dive instructor I do agree with Evil, to really take it to heart and ask yourself if you do get past this skill is it going to take away all your fears? SDI had a great philosophy for all their instructors follow. "If you would not feel comfortable letting this person dive with your mom, or closest family member then don't certify them."

This is to help keep both yourself safe and your buddy or anyone else in the water with you safe, including Divemaster while you're on vacation. Diving is not for everyone but if you work past this and it is for you then great job. If not, well skydiving is a blast to take up. Just be honest with yourself.

Thank you EVERYONE!

This is something I want to do and I will take baby steps until not only can I acomplish the skills necessary, but FEEL comfortable. I defently agree with everyone here. And even though I want to do this at the same time I realize my limits and I'm not willing to put myself or my buddy in harm's way.

Looking back, maybe it wasn't such a bad thing that I had to stop because it gives me extra time to just get comfortable in a pool. Even if I was able to do all the skills I wouldn't of felt right unless I felt comfortable doing it.

Once again thank you so very much, I've read everyone's post at least like twice..haha. and I can hoestly say everyone has given awesome advice. Thanks again!:D

You are probably going back and forth reading all of the posts. Some saying stick with it, some saying it may not be right for you. The truth is they are all correct. Only you can decide why you want to scuba dive. I know i'm the type of person that if I dont do well at something, I wont stop until I get it right. Yeah, I'm a type A personality lol.

In the end, whatever you decide to do, do not go into open water until you are 150% comfortable in the pool. If someone tells you otherwise....run really fast!!!

Welcome to ScubaBoard. I agree with both viewpoints. If you truely want to dive...practice...take your time and work hard on those areas needing work. There isn't any time limit on practicing to get to the point where you feel you can successfully complete all the required skills...the water will still be there if and when you are ready. So go to a local pool and practice...practice...practice. If on the otherhand you feel pressured into diving and feel certain skills are truely beyond your ability after a fair assessment...then maybe diving isn't for you at this time. Only you know your ability and the real reason you are wanting to take up diving. I am constantly amazed at how many people can do things they never thought possible if they really applied themselves and made the required effort. So I would not dare try to discourage you from diving but rather have yourself ask what can you do to overcome these obsticles and is that realistic for you at this time. I would suggest taking baby steps at first, especially if you are not a strong or good swimmer to begin with. If you are not a good swimmer for example then maybe taking swimming lessons first would be a good idea and then gradually build your confidence from there by practicing those required skills that are causing you so much fear and discomfort. No matter what, take your time, fairly evaluate your current skill and abilities and do what is necessary to achieve the results you want.

Back
Top Bottom