Did my first La Jolla Cove Dives...WOHOO

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shaxs

Contributor
Reaction score
So, today our class got upgraded from the sandy and boring La Jolla shore diving to La Jolla cove diving. Wow, what a difference! There was much more marine life and the kelp forests were beautiful. I used to hate kelp with a passion before I started diving. It was that icky stuff that scared the crap out of you when surfing or swimming :wink: We did two 30 minute dives and I was having a grand ol time. But, I can say getting off the beach up the first stair is incredibly hard after a lot of diving and swimming back to shore! Wow.

We saw some lobster traps with some nice size bugs. We eve cought our own bug. He was small, but still fun to look at. Speaking of lobster and traps, a boat came past the bouys, into the cove to check traps (which I thoguht were not allowed in the preserve) and a swimmerwho was hard at swimming ran into it. Sort of funny now that I think of it, but kind of made me mad when I first saw it. Especially after another group of class mates surfaced near the boat.

I also saw some rock fish, I almost want to say scorpion fish according to pictures I have seen. He was in a cage and looked stuck himself. That was probably the most interesting fish I saw.

Anyways, it was a load of fun and I am enjoying my own equipment instead of using the classes. integreated weights are a god send! I can't wait to be officially certified with my OW Advanced card from NAUI, make it out to a few Wrinkles dives, and meet some of the SB people! I have learned so much from you guys! Thanks!

They don't really come into the cove, but they are right on the border, that's where all the lobsta traps are. Yes, the cove is a nice dive, and that first step suck. The life quards don't want us to use their steps, since they may want to go rescue some swimmer dewd, but one of these days a diver dewd is going to get hurt. Checkout this section, we'll let you know when we are going diving.

ShakaZulu:
They don't really come into the cove, but they are right on the border, that's where all the lobsta traps are. Yes, the cove is a nice dive, and that first step suck. The life quards don't want us to use their steps, since they may want to go rescue some swimmer dewd, but one of these days a diver dewd is going to get hurt. Checkout this section, we'll let you know when we are going diving.

Unfortunately I do not get certified untill December. Boooooo!

shaxs:
So, today our class got upgraded from the sandy and boring La Jolla shore diving to La Jolla cove diving.

While I must protest that La Jolla IS NOT a boring sand dive.
http://photobucket.com/albums/v109/divinman/LJShores10052004/
I suppose I can concede that as a student it can be pretty drab. NurseShark, George, Ryan and I met and made a single dive at the Cove this afternoon. Report to follow. Welcome to the pond.

Terry

divinman:
While I must protest that La Jolla IS NOT a boring sand dive.
http://photobucket.com/albums/v109/divinman/LJShores10052004/
I suppose I can concede that as a student it can be pretty drab. NurseShark, George, Ryan and I met and made a single dive at the Cove this afternoon. Report to follow. Welcome to the pond.

Terry

Okay, it wasnt that bad. We never got down into the canyon. There is some good marine life there that I did not see in the cove. Like the shovel fish, the sting rays, the halibut, and some other stuff.

I guess the cove is a little bit more fun to navigate with all the kelp. I was just excited for a change of scenery :eyebrow:

While I am not a San Diego local diver, I LOVE the shores. At night anyway. I have seen buttefly rays, angel sharks, bat rays, leopard sharks, thornback rays, and CA round rays all in one dive there. Add Sea Pansies, baby octo, squid, sarcastic fringe heads, pipe fish, and all the NUDES, I mean nudibranchs out there. I love it!
Welcome to the wonderful world of diving...isn't it lovely? :07:

scubalaurel:
While I am not a San Diego local diver, I LOVE the shores. At night anyway. I have seen buttefly rays, angel sharks, bat rays, leopard sharks, thornback rays, and CA round rays all in one dive there. Add Sea Pansies, baby octo, squid, sarcastic fringe heads, pipe fish, and all the NUDES, I mean nudibranchs out there. I love it!
Welcome to the wonderful world of diving...isn't it lovely? :07:

Its very lovely. Maybe I just need to wait for a night dive. Although that sounds a bit scary. We do our first night dive in Catalina... maybe Dr. Bill will stop by and say Hi... haha. We are staying in some dorms over in Catalina for 3 days! Im super excited.

shaxs:
Its very lovely. Maybe I just need to wait for a night dive. Although that sounds a bit scary. We do our first night dive in Catalina... maybe Dr. Bill will stop by and say Hi... haha. We are staying in some dorms over in Catalina for 3 days! Im super excited.

When I first got certified at the shores I felt the same way. We stayed shallow for the skills dives and then on our tour we were in the back of the herd of new divers with no buoancy to speak of. Saw lots of sand and silt and fin tips. I thought, "NEVER AGAIN"

Now I dive there at least once a week.

It only gets better the more you do it.

Terry

shaxs:
make it out to a few Whisker dives, and meet some of the SB people! I have learned so much from you guys! Thanks!

First of all - let me say congrats on getting certified. Like divinman said, "Welcome to the pond!" And just to save you the trouble of trying to find the 'whisker' dive - you mean 'wrinkles' dive!

divinman:
When I first got certified at the shores I felt the same way. We stayed shallow for the skills dives and then on our tour we were in the back of the herd of new divers with no buoancy to speak of.
Terry

That would be a funny thing to see. Divinman getting his OW!

I still can't see it!!!

Sean

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom