Did I See What I Think I Saw!???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I was in Kuai last year. I was looking aroung in the reef. I turned my head and could of sworn I saw a cuttle fish. I cot a glimse of it for about 2 seconds then it darted away. I think it had 5 legs and was about a foot or 2 long. Any ideas on what I saw in kuai?:confused:

Cuttlefish/squid are quite common in most oceans.
:snorkel:ScubaRon

And I gotta say, squid are among my favorite-est creatures. :)
I love it when I spot those teeny tiny ones at night, the ones that are about a half inch long. They're so cute when they ink at you! :bkiss:

IT WAS A CUTTLE FISH. thx for you pictures mermaid. That is a identicle picture:eek:

Cuttlefish are good fun...with their appearance of having hooded eyes and the way their tentacles take on the appearance of a 'beard', giving them the air of wise old men as they hover together in overhangs. They're plentiful around where I learned to dive on Sydney's Northern beaches...saw my first ones on my OW checkout dives. We see them from when they're just clusters of eggs, to tiny adults in miniature, to adults about a foot long...and finally, when the life cycle is over, their bones litter the tideline.

When you approach they often seem so curious, lifting their front tentacles in a gesture that has all the appearance of vulcan peace sign, as they flash through their colours in an attempt to communicate, as much to ask 'do you speak cuttlefish? Are you an intelligent creature?'

Cephalopods - among the kewlest critters in the sea.

Cuttlefish are really common in Oman and you can see some huge ones about.

The ones in this picture were displaying "courtship" behaviour - the big male was almost totally white and waving all his tentacles about and gently stroking the smaller, drabber female, while a smaller male kept trying to nudge him out of the way.

Eventually the big male nipped him pretty hard and drove him off.

It was REALLY cool to watch.

BacardiSpice once bubbled...
......When you approach they often seem so curious, lifting their front tentacles in a gesture that has all the appearance of vulcan peace sign, as they flash through their colours in an attempt to communicate, as much to ask 'do you speak cuttlefish? Are you an intelligent creature?'............

...that I could change the colours of my wetsuit. I feel pretty lame just hanging there while the cuttle puts on a display.

Z

Back
Top Bottom