Did anyone ever think... I can't do this??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't have a whole lot to add to the great advice that you've gotten so far, but I just wanted to say that I just got my OW certification a couple of weeks ago, and there were points along the way when I didn't think I was cut out for diving. I can't begin to tell you how great it feels to have met a challenge head-on and succeeded.

We've been snorkeling for years, and always knew that we wanted to progress to diving. I always thought, what could be the big deal, it's the same as snorkeling but with breathing from an air tank instead (I know, I know). I found out, as you are, that there's a lot to think about when you're learning to scuba dive. The first time we were asked to take off our mask underwater, I just thought, yeah right, there's no way I'm doing that. Almost hung up my fins for good at that point. But I guess I had too much pride to quit, so I tried it. The first time was awful. The second time was awful. The third time was a little better. The fourth time wasn't so bad. You get the picture. I went in to the pool on my own time to practice the skills until they were no big deal.

I am so proud to be a certified diver, as you will be. I worked hard, studied the book, put in a lot of practice, and earned it. It's not the end of the road by any means. I still have a lot to learn! But the journey will be fun, and when challenges come, I can have confidence because of knowing that I was able to overcome past challenges. And as my instructor reminded us over and over, "Remember, diving IS FUN!" It's all good.

Ziggys_Friend once bubbled...
You mean this thread? ..... No, that wasn't the one I was thinking about but it is a good one. Recently someone posted about dropping out of a class because they couldn't handle the mask drill and the instructor was less than helpful ... sure wish I wasn't having a senior moment here ...<//><
Maybe this one?
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11768

No, but that's another good one landlocked and now that I've read it, anyone know how mtdivegirl is doing these days?

The one I was hoping to find was really more focused on a new diver who had a problem instructor and ended when another instructor from Scuba Board PM'd the new diver and set-up a time to help them one-on-one. Truth is, I was really impressed with how willing people are to help each other here ...

~<//><

I thought I couldn't do it. I quit the class. I realized I love it so much that I had to complete it. Now, I dive all the time, and I don't know why I ever wanted to quit. I just had to work through everything that was worrying me, and now its not a problem anymore. However, diving isn't for everyone, so if you get in the pool, and you feel really uncomfortable, or you just don't like it, don't hesitate to go slow, or even say "hey this isn't for me" because SCUBA diving is a "high risk" sport, and if you're not comfortable, there is not need to risk getting hurt in a sport that you didn't enjoy anyway. (Did that make sense?) :)

think YES I CAN !! YES I CAN !! and you will do it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
actually allot of people think they cant and do find allot of this has to do with the instructor if they are any good he will put you at ease and work with you !!!!!!!!!!!

Hi there, I see you are in the Chicago area also.

Part of me being soo hooked on SCUBA diving is the fact that I still can't believe I am doing this. I have about 70 logged dives since being certified in late August. How does me telling you this help you?

Well, I was very apprehensive also...had two panic attacks in the water even before trying Discover Scuba. One was my first time snorkeling and the other was my first time trying SNUBA. Atleast one time every dive I have a thought about how awesome it is to be down here....like others have said...the skills are simple, but for some..not easy.

Anyone who tells you that they were not nervous or apprehensive their first dives...are LYING. I have an anxiety disorder, so I already had a strike against me, even before trying.

Part of my success so far will be credited to my instructor. I am one of the lucky ones who found a great instructor by chance. If things don't work out with your current instructor..let me know, I'll be happy to give you his number. Remember, voice your concerns with your instructor, this is very important! It may change the way he/she teaches you, thus making it easier for you!

Good luck and keep us informed. This board helped me out when I was first starting out. :)

Jason

Ziggys_Friend once bubbled...
The one I was hoping to find was really more focused on a new diver who had a problem instructor and ended when another instructor from Scuba Board PM'd the new diver and set-up a time to help them one-on-one. Truth is, I was really impressed with how willing people are to help each other here ...

~<//><
I bet that Netdoc could shed some light on it. Twas he, as I recall, doing the offering? :) Nice guy, Pete.

landlocked once bubbled...
I bet that Netdoc could shed some light on it. Twas he, as I recall, doing the offering? :) Nice guy, Pete.

landlocked you're brilliant! Yes, here's the darn blasted thread I've been trying to remember!

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15542

pjdc1 if we haven't scared you off already - here's another thread telling you what we've all been saying - you're not alone!

~<//><

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom