Did anyone ever think... I can't do this??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pjdc1

Contributor
Reaction score
After finally getting my mask, fins,and snorkle, I decided to get The book and video needed for the classroom portion.
After reading Chapters 1-3 and seeing the video and doing the knowledge reviews; I was thinking " I can't do this!"

There are so many people that are reaping the benefits of being certified diver and they had to do the same thing that I will have to do, so it can't be that hard.

Am I the only one who has felt like this ??
I dont want to be the only one who doesn't " pass" all the
requirements during the pool sessions.
I know its not pass/fail but I dont want to be the only one who
doesn't complete a skill successfully during the pool sessions. :confused:

My wife had the experience. Very apprehensive but she was determined to get through it. She just took it very slow and easy, and practiced a lot. We spent many hours in the pool, now she dives regularly and loves it!

...you could sum up a good chunk of my Open Water course with the phrase, "I'll do one more dive, and if it doesn't go better than the last one, I'm going to quit."

Which bit are you worried about? Is is the physical mastery of the skills, or the whole breathing underwater thing, or the theory, or... what, exactly?

Zept

PJDC1:

As an assistant instructor for the last 18 months or so, I have seen lots of folks in your situation. The skills are simple (notice I didn't say easy), and can be broken down to very small components that you can work on to master. I had a friend who could NOT put her face in the water without panicking. She ended up wearing her mask in the bathtub until she was comfortable.... she now has her advanced open water, and has dove in Thailand and the Red Sea. Everyone has issues, but if you keep trying, and dont get frustrated, you definitely can do it. GOOD LUCK

Just give it a try and you'll see that it seems much more complicated than it really is.

Take it one step at a time and I think you'll learn to enjoy it.

Ari :)

It seems like a lot because it is a lot, but it isn't too much. A lot of the smaller things will become second nature in no time. The rewards in the long run are worth the stress you feel now and then some. Good luck and dive safe

I remember thinking a little differently - I could do it, but at first it just didn't seem all that fun ...

After one of my first dives, might even have been in a pool, my chest hurt just a bit from breathing in a way I wasn't used to. Then we did a shore dive and it was ... well, less than exciting. However, I reminded myself that it wasn't Tahiti and things above the water weren't all that exciting either.

Just keep at it, one step at a time and it gets both easier and a lot more fun.

~<//><

We all have had some type of worries when taking our classes. In my situation my girlfriend broke her toe and she had to take OW cert 3 weeks after I did. We both got through it seperately and now we are so excited to dive again this year. It will be worth it all in the end. :)

pjdc1,

Repeat after me, "I will do fine.".

You're just a little nervous that's all. Take the class one step at a time and don't worry. Any problems you have can and will be resolved with practice. Practice hard, but it's supposed to be fun too.

Back
Top Bottom