did anyone dive Cape Ann this weekend?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eab

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
We're trying to decide on diving tomorrow and/or Wednesday.

NOAA still has the wave height pretty high through at least Thursday.

I've checked with two LDS and both reported that people had brought rented gear back unused.

So ... did anyone dive Cape Ann this weekend? Anyone with a first hand report of what can be expected?

Thanks!

eab:
We're trying to decide on diving tomorrow and/or Wednesday.

I wouldn't, personally. Evidently Mother Earth saw fit to blow out just about every single spot this weekend. A fellow instructor who doesn't like going to Hathaway (we all know my feelings on the pond) insisted on heading to Cape Ann on Saturday and experienced some of the worst possible conditions he's ever seen up there. OGB was "surfing conditions," and they were barely able to get into Plum Cove. One student couldn't hack it, and the rest got 2 feet of vis.

Suffice it to say I saw him the following day in Hyannis...

I wouldn't imagine that there's any site worth diving on for at least the rest of the week, but that's only my opinion. Getting in may eventually not be an issue, but seeing anything once you submerge may be a tricky proposition.

PeaceDog:
I wouldn't imagine that there's any site worth diving on for at least the rest of the week, but that's only my opinion. Getting in may eventually not be an issue, but seeing anything once you submerge may be a tricky proposition.

Geeze. Large_diver and I are thinking about Folly tomorrow. Would you have us committed for such thinking?

Not going to happen. We went down yesterday to dive, all the Northern sites had 20' breakers and the Southern sites outside the harbour (Stage Fort) had 6' breakers. The only place even close to divable was Niles Beach where many people still dove. There was almost no visibility (4-6') and as always at Niles nothing to see.

eab:
Geeze. Large_diver and I are thinking about Folly tomorrow. Would you have us committed for such thinking?

Yes. Yes I will. I am contacting the authorities even as I write this. They should be on their way soon.

It's easier, by the way, if you don't put up a struggle and just let them put the jacket on you.

Like diving in washing machine. What's the point with poor vis, surge. Can't be fun getting in and out of surf.

First time I've ever come across not finding even one place on sea coast worth diving.

We've decided to listen to y'all and have called the dive.

Thanks for the quick and honest feedback.

Here's hoping for some good weekend dives! Now ... where's that darn fingers crossed icon?

I live in Salisbury just about a mile from the beach. For the last three days I've been checking the suf to see how the diving conditions are. The surf seems to be getting worse every day lately.:06: :eyebrow:

eab:
We've decided to listen to y'all and have called the dive.

Thanks for the quick and honest feedback.

Here's hoping for some good weekend dives! Now ... where's that darn fingers crossed icon?

That's why God made lakes. I did two nice dives in a lake on Sat. Even saw saw some fishes.

Lake diving seems so boring.:14:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom