Question DH Regs Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Unfortunately no

I decided to do cave training instead so i had to cut unnecessary spending on all other scuba categories

I did do more reading on it, and i am pretty sure that i will like DH regs (especially modernized versions) over modern 2 stage designs
Offer mentioned above stands indefinitely... I don't do the cave thing, but dive the springs as a benign place to play around with gear and such. Anytime you're down this way, let me know.

Unfortunately no

I decided to do cave training instead so i had to cut unnecessary spending on all other scuba categories

I did do more reading on it, and i am pretty sure that i will like DH regs (especially modernized versions) over modern 2 stage designs
I completely understand about having to make scuba decisions with a budget in mind. There is plenty of time to scratch your double-hose reg itch.

In my case, although my open water course (in 1986) used double-hose regs for some pool skills, I never used a DH in open water until about seven years ago when I purchased a used one that had been "modernized" (a "PRAM", i.e., a U.S. Divers DA Aqua Master that had been upgraded with a 1st-gen Vintage Double Hose Phoenix stage). I'm all in, now! In fact I recently completed a baby doubles rig for my PRAM. Thread is here: New Faber LP50's.

Enjoy your cavern and cave training and adventures!

rx7diver

Offer mentioned above stands indefinitely... I don't do the cave thing, but dive the springs as a benign place to play around with gear and such. Anytime you're down this way, let me know.
Thank you

I will be done with full cave first week of November, so maybe late January I will do a trip to FL and drop you a line as well!

Here's how that "positioning" thing seems to me.

Your round regulator has a diaphragm in it. So does your chest. When the regulator diaphragm and the one in your chest are at the same depth in the water column, there is no depth pressure variance between either and the breathing effort is as neutral as that regulator can be. (Some breathe harder than others; DA vs RAM, for example.)

When the regulator diaphragm is deeper than your diaphragm, the depth pressure on it will be greater than on you so it will flow more freely.

In contrast, when the regulator diaphragm is shallower than your diaphragm, the depth pressure will be greater on you than it is on the regulator and this will make breathing more difficult.

For example: swimming prone with the tank above me, it's usually a little harder to breathe than if I roll over and swim inverted on my back; but that's characteristic of most/all round regs and the DH diver learns to deal with it.

If I'm standing vertical in the watercolumn and it's hard to breathe, shifting the tank harness down to bring the regulator deeper (more aligned with my lungs and diaphragm) relieves that problem.

Hose clearing and buddy breathing procedures are different for DH regs than they are for the conventional octopus rig. Needs special training there.

Since you're new to this, my unsolicited pro bono advice would be to not jump into buying your first round regulator too quickly. Dive some first and get to understand how they work. If possible, connect with some divers who use this kind of thing and see if you can get them to break you in on their gear. There's actual double hose instruction available, too.

Good luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom