Info DGX 700 vs DGX 1000-6 vs BigBlue VTL9000P Max

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hows the 1000-8 beam wise? How does it compare to the 1000-6? Which is the better light?
Here is the DGX write up on them, I have the 8, Stuart has the 6

Hows the 1000-8 beam wise? How does it compare to the 1000-6? Which is the better light?

I got the 6 because my gut feeling aligned with what DGX says in their Tek Tip that lex linked. I.e. Comparing same settings - i.e. High vs High or Med vs Med, etc. - my expectation is that they appear to the eye to be about the same brightness. The 8 would just light up a circle that is a little bit bigger (to that same brightness level). The downside is the less burntime.

I decided that, to ME, a smaller circle with a (roughly) 50% longer burntime was the preferred option.

Longer burntime and a narrower beam that penetrates turbid water better. That was MY choice.

It is awesome that we have both options to choose from!

If you want somewhat of a visual comparison, the DGX 700 is an 8 degree beam. If you look at the video I posted, you might get some idea of how 6 degrees compares to 8, even though the 700 is obviously less bright. At around the 1:15 mark, I am holding the 700 and 1000-6 side by side and you can see the 700 beam is noticeably wider. Of course, the 1000-8 beam is probably not EXACTLY the same width as the 700. They are different LEDs and different reflectors, so I would assume they could be almost 1 full degree difference (e.g. one is really 8.4 degrees and the other is 7.5).

With similar brightness in the core, I think the DGX conclusion is spot on:
Overhead environment divers might prefer the tighter beam and longer burn time of the DGX Gears 1000-6, while sport divers may prefer the wider more even beam of the DGX Gears 1000-8.

I choose the 8 because Stuart picked the 6, since he goaded into this I wanted to exercise a little independence:wink: and we have the chance to hear about both.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom