DG05: October 2012 Release Model

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the comments from everyone although it is unfortunate we didn't see these posts sooner. Apologies from the entire Hollis crew as we do stand behind our products and especially our service to our customers.

I would like to first address the previous comments by saying the firmware on DG05 has been updated, including a bulletin to our dealer base addressing the fix. This update has corrected the mentioned bugs and has added a new feature called "Expert Mode" at no charge. The "Expert Mode" upgrade allows you to switch to a cleaner, more user friendly interface on your dive mode screens. New menus also provide the option to clear most of the symbols throughout the user interface on DG05, replacing them with words for ease of use.

Regarding any units that have not received the latest firmware revision, we are happy to bring the computer back at no charge for an update. Please contact our customer service department at 888-383-DIVE for a much faster response.

Thank you,

Last edited:
Hollis Gear Nick,

That's all fine and good to recognize there was a major quality control issue four months after the fact. What you don't understand is that this issue prevented me from enjoying my sport for four months and incurred four trips to the local quarries (which is not free) to essentially BETA test the computer on your behalf. I am using a Petrel computer now and it was easy-breezy out of the box and programmed in 10 minutes. I should have gone with my gut instinct from the start and gottent the Shearwater.

I am disappointed that Hollis didn't support this product from the start. I will make sure others considering this computer understand the hell I went through just to get it addressed. I was thinking about purchasing other Hollis equipment but reminded of the fact that if something goes wrong, it is a big question mark whether there will be anyone on your end responsive enough to want to help.

My pressure reading now shows the correct pressure (when compared to another AI computer, the difference is 20-psi, which is plenty good for me). However, I have to push the right button to get the pressure to display. What setting do I need to set so that I can get the pressure reading to permanently stay on?

Before the firmware update, it stayed on permanently, except that it only read up to 999-psi. Now it reads fine but I have to push the button every time I want to look at my pressure.

Go into the OLED screen and uncheck the expert mode setting. That should solve this.

fnfalman, also might want to check the "dive screen menu" ( i believe thats what the manual calls it), it has all the different options for what the computer displays while your diving, you may just need to switch from the TTS option to HP.

on a different note I'm sorry some of you have had issues with the DG05, I've been diving mine for about a year now and never had any problems, as far as customer service, when I saw Nicks post about a firmware upgrade I sent a email to Hollis through their site and 10 minutes later I had tech support calling me, although the firmware upgrade was possible for me to do using my PC download cable I decidded to just send it in and let hollis take care of it.

on a different note I'm sorry some of you have had issues with the DG05, I've been diving mine for about a year now and never had any problems, as far as customer service, when I saw Nicks post about a firmware upgrade I sent a email to Hollis through their site and 10 minutes later I had tech support calling me, although the firmware upgrade was possible for me to do using my PC download cable I decidded to just send it in and let hollis take care of it.

The firmware update is not available for users to do on their own. In fact, the warranty specifically states that if you manually flash the firmware you void the warranty. Tech Support said I could do it, but if I turned it into a brick- it was on me. [LIMITATIONS
Warranty does not extend to cover theft, loss, or damage due to accident, abuse, tampering; ref: Hollis Gear - Scuba & Technical Diving Equipment/Supplies]

Also, you don't have the same version of the DG05- units issued in October 2012 were fraught with issues well within the control of Hollis. It's just sloppy and shoddy QC.

The firmware update is not available for users to do on their own. In fact, the warranty specifically states that if you manually flash the firmware you void the warranty. Tech Support said I could do it, but if I turned it into a brick- it was on me. [LIMITATIONS
Warranty does not extend to cover theft, loss, or damage due to accident, abuse, tampering; ref: Hollis Gear - Scuba & Technical Diving Equipment/Supplies]

Also, you don't have the same version of the DG05- units issued in October 2012 were fraught with issues well within the control of Hollis. It's just sloppy and shoddy QC.

it seeems we were told the same thing about the firmware update, Tech support was more than willing to send me the software and instructions i would need to do the firmware upgrade myself, but explained to me that any hickup in the update process, from power serge, computer issues, etc etc..while the computer is hooked up could damage the DG05, personally that was a good enough reason to just send it in.

you have me puzzled though....where did you hear that the october 2012 DG05 was a different version than the January 2012 version? and that the october version was "fraught with issues well within the control of Hollis"?

I don't know what I did, but the pressure is showing constantly now.

I still don't understand the difference between TTS and RTS. I know what the abbreviations stand for, but what exactly do they mean? Time To Surface means that I have that much bottom time until I have to get back to the surface? What is the difference between that and Return To Surface then? What does the air integration do besides acting as an expensive pressure gauge? Does it help calculate my bottom time based on my air consumption? How can I tell what is what?

These are the questions that the manual doesn't answer.

Good question, from the manual on page 34 it gives a good description of the two:
RTS - Runtime to surface is the total dive time thus far plus the required decompression time.
TTS - Is the time remaining to surface including any decompression but not including the dive time thus far.
It sounds like you may be confusing “Nst” or “no stop decompression time” with TTS, the Nst is what most dive computers would show and tells you how much longer you have at depth before you need to start your ascent….whereas TTS gives you the total estimated time you have underwater including stops and switches, and makes the assumption you do the gas switches based off the gas list you setup before the dive.

Now I don’t dive a rebreather, so my next assumption could be incorrect but it seems to me that the RTS would be geared towards CC where the canister has a definite run time ……for example I believe the Prism 2 scrubber is rated at four hours….. TTS would be for those in OC.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom