DFW Dive Store

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TwoBitTxn said...

CavernQT uses Aqua Adventures at Park Ln and Greenville in Dallas. She likes them. They have treated her well.

CavernQT is of course entitled to her opinion, but I don't have very high regard for Aqua Adventures, myself. Aqua Adventures harvested my email address from the Texas State University Aquarena Center newsletter and used it to spam me. Then Britt (the owner?), er, shall we say distorted the truth, about where they harvested it from. (The person that actually sent the spam admitted to harvesting addresses from the Aquarena list- and without Aquarena's knowledge or permission- for Aqua Adventures' spam.)

No reputable business would unethically harvest email addresses from another source (like a newsletter for volunteers) and use it to spam people. I know that I sure won't do business with Aqua Adventures, and I wouldn't recommend that any other divers patronize a business that uses such shady business practices.

Just my 2¢,

Bill

I thought I heard someone say that Alec had moved his store over to Rosedale, but please don't quote me on that.

Its always interesting when people dig up old posts.

Loyalties and facts change. So much changes over time. Even such a short period of time.

I am now associated with Blue Dolphin Scuba in Frisco. In May of 2002, BDS was not even open.

Bill, I'm sorry about your poor experience with Aqua adventures.

Keep in mind, He origninally requested the shops to be within an hour of McKinney. I got chewed on due to my post, because I didn't mention Southern Scuba in Ft. Worth when I was associated with them at that time. South Ft. Worth is almost two hours from McKinney.

Forgive my ranting.... finding a scuba shop that you like is, to me, almost like finding a auto repair shop that you trust.

Are you brand loyal? How is the customer service? Is there any customer service? Do they sell online?
I was in Oceans Window the other day to talk online sales and learned that the only stuff that they sell online is the gear from MFRs that allow online sales.

Best of luck finding a shop that works for you.

TwoBit

ScubaTexan said...
I thought I heard someone say that Alec had moved his store over to Rosedale, but please don't quote me on that.

I drove past down I-35 a few days ago, and the sign was still up on the building. I suppose the landlord just hasn't leased the space to someone else yet (as opposed to the shop reopening)? Southern Scuba filled a niche in the area offering some things other shops didn't. I hope Alec does reopen a store. But as TwoBitTexan says, south Fort Worth (or even Rosedale/central Fort Worth) is a bit far from McKinney though.

lplace, if your going to be in the Mckinney area that's where I live currently and you might check out Blue Dolphin Scuba which is in Frisco about 5-10 minutes from Mckinney.

www.bluedolphinscuba.com

Michael (the owner) and all the rest that work there are a wonderful group of people... this is where I did my training and I would say their prices are compriable to Oceans Window in Plano.

D

...about Southern Scuba,

Alec still has a shop, he moved it to Vickery in Ft. Worth, however, he now operates it on more of an 'appointment only' basis...but he still teaches, sells/repairs gear, does air fills, etc.

I've taken some 'tech' classes with him (Advanced Nitrox/Deco Procedures-Santa Rosa NM......and did a week of cave diving with him 2 months ago in Akumal) and have benefitted greatly from his experience and, of course, bought a pretty substantial amount of gear from him in the last year to accompany the classes.

I went diving with him 3 weeks ago at Clear Springs....and just last week dropped off some Odins for service, as well as a twinset that needed to be O2 cleaned, and order more gear.......a pair of Halcyon SPGs, among other things...and an OMS O2 analyzer.

He's a great guy, very friendly and good at helping even a relative 'newbie' such as myself feel welcome.

I'm planning on joining him on some dive trips in 2004.......probably a week in Bonaire...and another week in Akumal......he's great to dive with, and I feel very safe with him...I've trusted my life to him a number of times.

I'm not at liberty to provide his cell#, but here's his e-mail address:

tekdiver@charter.net

Karl

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom